What kind of laptop is best?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
hmm, not a tough choice for me.

Gateway is horrible all around so don't go with them on anything. (I've had bad experience with them all around)

HP is a great laptop company but the processor that you have listed there won't be able to cut it so no.

Dell for some reason they are terrible at making desktops but they are awesome at making laptops, my brother has a dell laptop and he's very satisfied with it, plus the processor is an intel core 2 duo, that's power when you want it right there.

overall winner: dell

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
All three are duo core, dave.

The Gateway has a better warranty, so that's important to remember. The Dell has the most space (250 gigs versus 160 in the other two). I'd say either the Gateway or the Dell. The HP doesn't seem to have much going for it.
------
I loves me my macbook. that is all.
Spam is frowned upon here. FYI.

Last edited:

Obsessiforge

- Diderot Reborn -
it wasn't meant to be spam, I was just saying that in my opinion, macs trump all three of the listed options. now, I realize that Synyst may have narrowed it down to these 3, but he should reconsider. mac's are great.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd go with the Dell. It has the most space and Dell makes really solid laptops. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Gateway's been moving the way of the really cheap computers lately. Cheap meaning cheap parts like eMachines. I'd definitely go with the Dell there. HP's are good too though but the hard drive difference makes the Dell the better option out of those three considering the other specs are similar.

synyst

Registered Member
Well it seems like i'm mostly getting told to go for the dell or Gateway. and I've used that laptop before and it worked great. The dell desktop i have is junk, and it's also about 7 years old. so honestly there all a major improvement over this thing.

I've heard that dell and vista are a really bad combo, from someone i know who works at geek squad.

These are most likely all i could aford to get though :/

You could probably increase the choices a bit if you're not buying a gaming rig. For example, an Acer One, or an MSI Wind would give you better battery life if you're just using it for browsing, some light gaming and e-mail, etc. It probably won't run Vista very well (but then nothing does). But you could save a few bucks on the laptop, and then buy an external harddrive and an usb mouse on the side. (And then maybe install winXP, or a linux distro).

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
it wasn't meant to be spam, I was just saying that in my opinion, macs trump all three of the listed options. now, I realize that Synyst may have narrowed it down to these 3, but he should reconsider. mac's are great.
Doesn't matter what it's meant to be, it's spam. We don't need another "Macs are cooler than PC's" or "Macs r ghey" thread. Both suck and rule in different aspects, neither is better.

The choice of laptop depends mainly on what you want to use it for. Vista is pretty much fail no matter what hardware you're running. If you're using it for school, you don't need a real powerful machine but if you want it for gaming, you're probably better off getting a desktop with the kind of money you're looking to spend.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
All I can tell you is I've had bad experience with my HP laptop.

But if you get one, your experience may differ, of course. The first thing it did was the screen's colors went negative. We could never figure out how this happened because I took good care of the laptop before that point.

We had to turn it in to get it fixed and now it's given me more problems. I'd have to go on and on and on and to list the rest of the problems, but I do think they are mainly because of Vista itself, it being HP, and them reinstalling Vista wrong on it. =/