What kind of internet speed do I need?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
So, in the place that I am moving to, they have Verizon fios, which I think is a fiber optic type cable for internet. The smallest package costs more than the cable internet I'm using now...and I'm not sure what the speeds mean or if they are enough. I would primarily only use it for random browsing on my laptop, and for the xbox.

The smallest package is 15 mpbs/5 mpbs. Is this enough for what I want to use it for, or do I need more? I don't really understand the mpbs, what is good, or what I would need. Anyone knowledgable on this?

My choices are $54.99 for the 15/5 mpbs, $64.99 for the 25/25 mpbs, and $144.95 for the 50/20 mpbs.

The smallest package is more than what I pay for the current, mid-range regular cable internet speed.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You can DEFINITELY get by with that lowest package. That's faster than what I have here... I'm jealous.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Yeah the lowest package is at least 5 times faster than my connection.

You wouldn't need a bigger one unless you were planning to do something crazy like have 20 people over and you're all playing WoW together or something on one online server. :lol:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah lol. Fibreoptic is basically a bunch o strands of glass that light shines through. Light travels fast. That smallest package is amazing. You get to be the host for any future xbox endeavours.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Haha ok, that's good to know. I don't really know anything about the speeds or understand them at all. I thought the price was ridiculous, but maybe it's not. Still, it's $15 more a month than I'm paying now, and i'm not really sure I want to foot the bill for it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If it makes any difference, you're definitely getting what you pay for lol.

Also, you wrote it wrong. 15/5 Mbps (not MpBs). That stands for Megabits per second. 15 is download, 5 is upload. My connection here is about 5-7ish with cable. up and down.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Oh sorry. I'm a noob and do not understand what these things mean. lol

I'm actually on the phone setting it up for the new apartment at this moment. I'm kind of really excited about it, because I'm a nerd.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Lol no worries. The only reason I know is because I'm a nerd and learned all about fibre optics in highschool. I could explain the whole technology to you but...well I like to hide my inner geek hehe.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Lol no worries. The only reason I know is because I'm a nerd and learned all about fibre optics in highschool. I could explain the whole technology to you but...well I like to hide my inner geek hehe.
You can explain it to me on IM sometime. I'm really interested in how the fiber optics work. And also how it works with gaming. I was just being told that when you are gaming, it's a constant combination of both the download and upload speeds. I have no idea how any of it works. lol

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Well, with cable, or ethernet, it alternates I believe. Very quickly mind you. But you can't get as fast of speeds when every microsecond it's switching back and forth between upload and download. With fibre optics, because it's just light particles being bounced down many little glass tubes, it can go both ways at the same time.