Discuss What is your profession?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Pretty simple question.

I got a degree in CIS/IT in 2016.

I got a job as an IT technician at a local ministry in 2015. Eventually I made my way to be the senior Windows technician for end user services. I got to handle level 2 and level 3 service tickets/incidents with an occasional dabbling into level 4. I worked closely with my boss to set IT standards for both software and hardware. We were constantly working to improve our corner of influence in IT. I left that role after that boss left, he was amazing.

In 2017 I moved over to our Events Department and now work as an AV Engineer. I get to do tons of audio, sound boards, speakers, cables, TVs, video production, and production lighting.

I really like my current job and have no intention to move to something else at this time.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have worked at the same company for 14 years, doing a variety of roles in that time. It's a telesales company which sells all computer related equipment - laptops, printers, cartridges, etc.
For the last six years I have worked as an 'assistant buyer', which means I am responsible for ordering some of the products we sell, then it's up to sales to sell said products and make a profit.

I don't enjoy my job, but it's an 8 minute drive from my home, the people are wonderful (mostly) and it pays the bills.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I work in a factory in the sheet metal department. I work on the shear cutting large sheets of metal down into smaller pieces of various sizes to go through the punch and get holes. Eventually they get bent into different shapes to become parts. Parts which get assembled into chambers and walking rooms. Growth chambers, grow room stuff. stuff for agriculture and research. Company is called Conviron. Not a bad job, union, gaurunteed raises, good benefits. hard work though. Doesn't help i injured my shoulder a few years ago. Thankful for having paid into the benefits.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Pretty simple question.

I got a degree in CIS/IT in 2016.

I got a job as an IT technician at a local ministry in 2015. Eventually I made my way to be the senior Windows technician for end user services. I got to handle level 2 and level 3 service tickets/incidents with an occasional dabbling into level 4. I worked closely with my boss to set IT standards for both software and hardware. We were constantly working to improve our corner of influence in IT. I left that role after that boss left, he was amazing.

In 2017 I moved over to our Events Department and now work as an AV Engineer. I get to do tons of audio, sound boards, speakers, cables, TVs, video production, and production lighting.

I really like my current job and have no intention to move to something else at this time.
Nice to hear this. I remember when you were reaaaaally young and oh how time passes, we're doing adult things now, haha.

I'm an official interpreter (French, English, Tagalog) for different government offices/public services, mostly working in immigration, mental health, and social services. I also teach English as a Foreign Language to children and adults, in a private school. And some days, I'm a semi-pro singer for symphonic concerts in France and nearby Euro countries.

Impaired

Registered Member
I'm a senior network engineer for a small MSP (Managed Service Provider) - we specialize in small companies who don't have their own IT staff. The owner is sort of an idiot and his focus on sales and not caring if he can deliver what he sells causes me stress.

On the plus side, two days a week, I get to work at a satellite communications company with another engineer who is a genius. My first day there I was on the phone with NASA people at the Goddard Space Center. That makes up for the fact that the other three days a week are often stressful and filled with stupidity.

I love doing what I do. I solve problems. People have network or server issues and I troubleshoot them, fix the problem and when I am done, people are happy.