• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question What is your least favorite genre, and why?

Pinecampple

Registered Member
Everybody loves music in some way, but many of us have that one, special kind, special genre that we either can't really enjoy, dislike, or loath with a burning passion.
Question is, what genre is that and why? (And don't just say "because it sucks" give a sincere reason)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't like rap at all. I don't see it as real music, just ranting to music. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with rap. It's just junk and has to musical value whatsoever.

Konshentz

Konshentz
So disappointed in both of you. But it's okay, with opinions like that, it's clear that you two haven't heard more than a handful of songs. If you had, you'd know those statements are beyond ridiculous.

But I'm not here to defend rap for the 76385238628624th time. Moving on...

Jazz.

An absolute snoozfest. I guess I could see the appeal as an alternative to sleeping pills but that's about it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
See, I love jazz. I think there's so much value to it. I have XM Satellite radio and besides listening to ESPN radio, I listen to jazz. There are no stations down here that play jazz so that's my only chance to hear it. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

dDave

V.I.P.
I appreciate Jazz for the musical skill of it all. It's also got a nice sound. Upright bass? Piano? Saxophone? Is there something not to love?

About Rap... I find that many rappers use incredibly offensive lyrics (in both words used and subject matters), and think the whole genre is generally based in a bad culture.

I can't say rap is my least favorite though. There are a couple of rap songs that I like (just a couple). Worst genre? Absolutely screamo. There is no question about it. I despise the sound of it. I suspect that if I could understand what they were trying to sing that I wouldn't like it either.

Konshentz

Konshentz
About Rap... I find that many rappers use incredibly offensive lyrics (in both words used and subject matters), and think the whole genre is generally based in a bad culture.
Mature subject matter is your main complaint? I ain't mad. Haha.

Worst genre? Absolutely screamo. There is no question about it. I despise the sound of it. I suspect that if I could understand what they were trying to sing that I wouldn't like it either.
Totally forgot about this genre. Yeah, I agree. This makes jazz seem like one of my favorites in comparison. Haha.

dDave

V.I.P.
Good that we can agree on screamo. I will never understand people that just love that genre.

About rap again though. I don't find degrading women and throwing around racial slurs to be "mature". If that's not the kind of rap you listen to then we don't even have a disagreement here. Honestly, people are free to like whatever music they want.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Sorry guys, but I'd have to say rap. There's no such thing as hearing rap from a radio station or CD. To hear rap you have to go to the seediest parts of the Blackest neighborhoods and find some small group freestyling on a street corner. That's rap. This hip-hoppy cliche regurgitated garbage that young people listen to nowadays expresses no musical, vocal, or lyrical talent whatsoever. The essence of rap is split second improvisation with near genius rhyming skill and authentic urban grit. You won't find that on a studio album.

Second, I would have to say modern (experimental) Jazz. I love Swing/Bigband and to hear the Benny Goodman band in full swing is something to behold. And a lot of what you'd hear was off the cuff, but still in perfect harmony and rhythm. Most of this modern stuff they call Jazz is filled with clashing chords, mashing keys, and erratic syncopation. They get something almost cool going then it sounds like the piano player passed out on the keys. It's just painful.

Extra whiney country. 'nuff said.

- Cham

Konshentz

Konshentz
There's no such thing as hearing rap from a radio station or CD. To hear rap you have to go to the seediest parts of the Blackest neighborhoods and find some small group freestyling on a street corner. That's rap. This hip-hoppy cliche regurgitated garbage that young people listen to nowadays expresses no musical, vocal, or lyrical talent whatsoever. The essence of rap is split second improvisation with near genius rhyming skill and authentic urban grit. You won't find that on a studio album.