Movies What is your Favorite Obscure Film?

heyheymonkey

Registered Member
I have four favorite obscure films right now:

The Conspiracy- Val Kilmer out for revenge. DO I NEED TO SAY MORE

REVOVLER- Not as obscure got a limited release in the states. Movie got mixed reviews but I'm fiend especially of richie. Ever since Lock Stock I have been a huge fan over everything he does. ( except that Madonna one)

SOUTHLAND TALES- Once again not that obscure mostly because the guy did donnie darko and then expected him to make to godfather or something. the guy makes weird movies and you see a weird movie and think its bad AWESOME MOVIE SUN

Those are only my recent favorites others include
Boondock Saints
Equilibrium
Limey
Fritz the Cat
Akira
The Krays
The Spook who Sat by the door
Snake in a Monkies Shadow

KEEP IT GOING

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I haven't seen too many obscure films. I guess I'll just say Swimming Pool since the chick is smoking hot. Pretty weird movie.

Italiano

Film Elitist
I'm a little confused, maybe because of your examples, but what defines as an obscure film? Do you mean something like Momento or the Matrix?

or maybe i've just been out of the states too long.

Well, I wouldn't consider Bookdock Saints or Equilibrium obscure by any means then. Both are pretty well known by every person I know.

Mine would probably be Stealing Harvard. It's a comedy with Jason Lee and Tom Green that was critically destroyed and was on Rotten Tomatoes list of 100 worst movies of all time (I think in the top 20 actually) but I love it for some reason.

Italiano

Film Elitist
Yeah I agree with Valentine. I have "Boondock Saints" and "Equilibrium" and most of my friends have seen both... And actually I heard "Revolver" was really really bad.

I think my "obscure film" would be "I Trust You To Kill Me" It's a documentary about a band called Rocco Deluca and The Burden traveling, touring and doing gigs in Europe with Keifer Sutherland as their manager. It has a scene where Sutherland tackles a christmas tree because when he's drunk.

I think this thread is kind of defeating the purpose of an "obscure movie" because by telling people about obscure movies no longer makes them obscure because some of us are probably going to look up movies that we haven't heard before and then making them known to more people hence no longer making it an "obscure movie".

wezalini

Registered Member
Well, I wouldn't consider Bookdock Saints or Equilibrium obscure by any means then. Both are pretty well known by every person I know.

Mine would probably be Stealing Harvard. It's a comedy with Jason Lee and Tom Green that was critically destroyed and was on Rotten Tomatoes list of 100 worst movies of all time (I think in the top 20 actually) but I love it for some reason.
Yeah they are two pretty well known movies.

Was Stealing Harvard really rated that bad? I thought it was pretty good, Green is real funny in it and not too over the top like some of his other stuff.

I haven't really seen many really obscure movies i've enjoyed.
One that springs to mind is Cube, really good psychological thriller

And I suppose obscure could mean 'cult' movies that weren't really embraced by the mainstream? in that case I would say Human Traffic, a movie about the UK drug scene

Last edited:

Mrs_Mike_Patton

Registered Member
Bad Taste, Braindead & Meet the Feebles - from Peter Jackson pre-LOTR. Most people I meet have never heard of them.
They Live - awesome, awesome movie! I searched for this for years before I finally came across a small second hand store that ordered it in from the states for me about 6 months ago :)

wezalini

Registered Member
Bad Taste, Braindead & Meet the Feebles - from Peter Jackson pre-LOTR. Most people I meet have never heard of them.
yeah for sure, Jacksons early stuff was awesome. I suppose I don't view them as being obscure because i'm from NZ and they're obviously really well known there.

Mrs_Mike_Patton

Registered Member
yeah for sure, Jacksons early stuff was awesome. I suppose I don't view them as being obscure because i'm from NZ and they're obviously really well known there.
Have you seen The Frighteners? I think of it as his in-between movie, before he got swallowed by the LOTR phenomenon, but obviously a lot more money spent than those three.