What is the secret to happiness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm not going to say that being retired in a big house wouldn't be a nice thing, but I think in order to be happy you have to be able to be around other people who are either happy or content with where they are in life, and able to enjoy the small things like going to a movie, or going to a party, etc.

Now the partying aspect changes once you get married (or so I hear), but even so, just being around people that you enjoy hanging out with is what I think will bring happiness. Of course eventually I'd like to get married and raise a family, but that's still a bit distant at the moment.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

For me, true happiness comes from doing what I love. Of course my family, and home make me happy, but it's a different kind of happiness, more the feeling of being blessed, and grateful for what I have.
    Although being around people I get along with and share the same interests with does bring a certain feeling of happiness, it's not the same level of contentment (such a simple word for such a profound feeling) that I feel when I'm lost in art and all it's forms. It's as if I've found what I'm meant to do and the Gods are smiling upon me.
    I also feel profound happiness from lifes simple things, a beautiful sunset, a flowers bloom, my daughters laughter, a beautiful song.
    I think happiness truly comes from within, from finding you and your "reason" and acting on it, taking risks without always worrying about failure.
    I've always said, my biggest fear in life is turning 80 or so, and looking back with regret for things I should have done but never did.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

For me, happiness is my ability to enjoy life. As long as I can enjoy life itself, I'll remain happy. It's harder than it sounds, of course. Taking the time to enjoy a waterfall, or just stopping to look at the stars; simply appreciating life is what makes me the happiest.

And my daughter.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

kids, definately.

Its weird too, I will spend all day pulling my hair out, displining them, telling them to leave me alone. And them in one moment they will give me enough joy to last a week. Could be a funny joke or them saying they love me, anything really.

And the relationship with my wife. Same deal. In just a moment I can feel loved, which is better than money. (I think, I've never had money. lol..)

5. Ghost

Ghost Registered Member

For me happiness is the serenity I find in life, whether it be with my husband of twenty-eight years, or my writing... I believe that when people are truly happy (and that's with themselves, not with the situations happening around them)... they can sit in a swing and stare at the wind blowing through the trees and feel grateful they've witnessed it.

6. Shazwi

Shazwi Registered Member

totally agree....even if u have a big house big car no debts and hang around GANGSTERS....no good life

7. pindra

pindra New Member

In my opinion, the secret to happiness is the feeling of gratefullness with everything that we already had (we don't have to have everything). and also sharing what we had with the less fortunate one is bringing a warm feeling toward happiness too

8. screwdriver

screwdriver New Member

The secret to happiness is having low expectations.....:nod:

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

for me, happieness is being at peace with myself, others and the world around me. it is in relationship with people that i find happieness. also, it is accepting what you have and realizing that it is enough. to be in a constant state of buying and wanting material things will not bring happieness. but the biggest source of happieness for me is love. (love being the willingness to go out of one's way to help someone, even if you do not know them).

10. SimplyGenius

SimplyGenius Registered Member

It's ridding your soul of the evil aliens that were vaporized by the Evil warlord Zenu 75 million years ago.

Now if you had no idea what Scientology was, would you take me seriously? My gosh. It's so ridiculous.