What Is The Most Classic Game Ever?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by dDave, Dec 10, 2007.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Obviously there are some major choices for this decision such as...

Super Mario Bros.

The Legend Of Zelda

Pacman

Sonic The Hedgehog
    (Old Sega Genesis edition)

DK Arcade

Pong

Don't worry there are more choices than this.

These would be what I would consider to be some very good selections, but obviously DK arcade is not the most classic game it is still pretty far up there.

My vote goes to either The Legend Of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. both were excellent games that were made by Nintendo at it's best, but Super Mario Bros. wins just because it's a Mario game and he is what made Nintendo such a huge success, you do have to admit that without Mario Nintendo is not Nintendo.

Which game do you consider to be the most classic?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree. Super Mario Brothers for sure is the most classic game. Most "OldSchool" would be pong and pacman, but classic is a different thing altogether.

Sonic is close, as is Zelda, but really Mario takes the cake this time around. Everybody knows of Mario and everybody remembers Mario from back in the day.

3. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

Yeah, I was going to go with Zelda or Mario. I would have to agree with you Andrew. Mario would be the best choice.

4. dDave

So... Does anybody know the answer to this question?

Don't worry it has to do with the most classic game... sort of...

What game did Mario first appear in?

If you said the DK arcade then you were correct, it's weird that Mario and DK were both originally seen in the same game but of course in reality DK had his name first since the game was called Donkey Kong.

So in reality the DK arcade is definitely one of the most classic games of all time just because it was the beginning of Mario who seems to be the main character of the most classic game of all time

This really surprised me when I found out what the answer was.

If you don't agree with these facts then go and look them up.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, I suppose "classic" can be also open to opinion, but the original DK arcade game was pretty popular. I guess I can live with DK and Mario sharing the title. It's funny that DK was originally a bad guy.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If you want to go for classic, then you've gotta go with the original Pong arcade game. The arcade game was what lead up to the popular home console, and led the way for arcade to home ports that we still get today.

7. dDave

Yes DK was originally a bad guy but actually the gorilla that you see in the DK arcade is actually Cranky Kong, the Donkey Kong that we know today is the son of that Donkey Kong who first appears in Donkey Kong Country, that is why you always hear Cranky making remarks about when he was just a lad playing games and talks about what he had to put up with, he is actually talking about the arcade games that he starred in though he wasn't referred to as "Cranky" until Donkey Kong Country.

Time to get back on topic.

Pong was the game that lead the way for the games that we know today but there are a lot of classic games out there that are more popular that that game but I guess that that doesn't make pong not the most classic game because it is the original video game.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Actually, the original video game was on a small vacuum tube computer and was just a dot that bounced back and forth.. it pre-dates pong by at least 20 years.

9. silencedPPs

silencedPPs Registered Member

Most classic game ever = Super Mario Bros. 3

It was the most advanced game for its time when it came out, it was the start of a huge price jump in video games, it made its way into the most classic video game movie ever, it's part of the most classic video game series, it's still fun even today.

10. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Tetris.

Seriously. While other games have evolved over the decades, Tetris is still just Tetris, and it's still immensely popular. It hasn't aged, which is one of the characteristics of a classic. Pong hasn't changed either, but who the fuck plays Pong on their cell phone? Most people including myself find it archaic and boring.