• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is the ideal minimum smoking age?

What is the ideal minimum smoking age?

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Smoking age has been raised in several countries. In your opinion, what is the ideal minimum smoking age?

I'm talking cigars, cigarettes. ect. Not talking about Marijuana here.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think that paying copious amounts of money to slowly bring forth your own death is both stupid and selfish. Of course there are those who are already addicted which is a shame for them. However, anyone who is starting to smoke in this day and age, no matter how old they are is pretty stupid to me. Look how much scientific research we have about how terrible smoking is for you, all those gross ads on TV and in magazines, and even on cigarette packets themselves.
So yeah, I'm very much an anti-smoking person. I think cigarettes should be banned just like other addictive drugs that take the lives of thousands of people each year.

That and I personally know A LOT of smokers and am around them almost on a daily basis. I'm honestly just starting to get sick of how much smokers smell. I feel like I have to walk around with my hand over my nose sometimes just when I am around them. Why would anyone want to make themselves so disgusting to others?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Legal smoking age is 18 here and I'm fine with that. It definitely shouldn't be higher than 18 (and I don't think drinking should be either), and it doesn't need to be lower either. I'm against smoking, but I think people should have the right to do it on their own property.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
There's no legal smoking age over here, but I think any age above 22 could be acceptable. I don't have a strong reason for that, it just sounds not too young, not too old.
I think the age 18 is low for everything, not just for smoking.

NoMoreHotDogs

Registered Member
There is no good age for smoking, if you ask me. There are nothing but negative benefits to everyone, both the smoker and the people near them. To tell you the truth, I'd rather marijuana be legal than cigarettes - at least it has SOME benefits. But since that's probably not gonna happen any time soon, I'd just keep it at 18 (USA minimum smoking age).

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
Whatever the age you are considered an adult should be the smoking age for that specific country. If you are old enough to vote on who should run the country, you should be old enough to decide what you put in your body. So where I am, aged 18.

viLky

ykLiv
Part of me wants to say 25 because that's when scientists say the brain is fully developed. Another part of me wants to say 18 because that's when you're considered an "adult".

Hmm... I'll go with 18. It's your choice, you're old enough to make that decision. Just don't become one of those people who tries to sue the tobacco industry because you got cancer.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Part of me wants to say 25 because that's when scientists say the brain is fully developed. Another part of me wants to say 18 because that's when you're considered an "adult".
Being considered an adult and actually being an adult are 2 different things.
That's why I say that at 18 you're not really an adult, though you are supposed to be one.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Several of my views clash here.

First and foremost, I'm one of those apparently 'progressive' people who believe that your body belongs to you and thus you should be allowed to do what you want with it so long as you are not harming others. Cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, pain pills, whatever you decide you're going to put in your body is your choice but you are not free to blame them on anybody but yourself as your body is your temple and you alone hold responsibility for what enters it.

Secondly, I think smoking is the second most disgusting habit being outranked only by chewing tobacco which is something I simply cannot describe at length for fear of my own stomach contents. Yet, I will not go out of my way to stop people or to tell them it's wrong (unless you're one of those assholes that smokes in front of a doorway or any place where you're going to be an inconvenience to people).

Lastly, I think age laws are hilariously ineffective since they depend on a culture's concept of maturity and in a place where Jackass can be a legitimate movie release and our celebrity magazines sell more than honest news, I think it's safe to say we're as familiar with the definition of maturity as fractal is with the feel of a woman's breast. Nevertheless, I sometimes feel like they're a necessary evil. For smoking, I don't see an age being effective. I selected other because for some reason I feel like their should be no age but that's probably because I don't think age laws work anyways.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
First and foremost, I'm one of those apparently 'progressive' people who believe that your body belongs to you and thus you should be allowed to do what you want with it so long as you are not harming others.
What about the second hand smoke that harms others? Like the children of smokers who are around their parents all day and are constantly in the line of second hand smoke. This has been proven to be really dangerous to other people.