What is the best way to avoid impulses

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by padd, May 30, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

I used to have a problem with impulse buying.. Anyways, i'm not a big shopper but i was always finding myself buying the most worthless shit.. like a a snickers bar for example. Snickers bars add up. Now I just ignore everything.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Think of something you want most, hopefully it will encourage you not to spend. For example, I really want a car, so when I see a new DVD, I think to myself "Car . . or DVD?"

The choice is simple.

3. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Mines even simplier, buy food or this? lol

You'd think working 2 jobs I'd have enough money but sadly no because my PT job has been really slow and I've had things break that I've needed to get fixed.

Van likes this.
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Only carry cash instead of a credit or debit card. You'll be amazed at how much less you spend when you are forking over cash.

Van likes this.
  5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What hybrix said. And carry minimum cash. Sometimes I go out without money at all. :lol:

6. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

Send all you spare cash to me.

You can't impulse by if I'm spending all you cash. ;)

Problem solved, now that sending address is...

lol

Van likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Cash really puts your spending into perspective.

8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Small denominations are good as well. You feel a lot worse handing over a bunch of ones and fives than a twenty, as it's physically a larger amount of money.

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I use to be a more impulsive buyer when in college. However, since getting a job I have become tighter with my money. I pay for nearly all my bills and I have noticed how much everything is costing since it is my dime and not my parents.

The cash idea is good. However, I find I spend more money when I am using cash as oppose to my debit card. My cash I view as "money already spent" where as the money in my bank on my check card is the money I maintain. As soon as I withdrawal 40 bucks to carry on me and it is out of my checking account I felt like I have "spent" the money. Since I will not be putting it back in.

Vegito728 likes this.
  10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I know what you mean Swift. Once I take money out of my account and I see the number go down I remember that new number as my current total.

I know that spending cash won't effect that number. I put all my extra cash back into my account whenever I can though. Most people don't like spending actual cash but I agree that it's sometimes easier. I use a debit card myself.