• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is the Best Time to Buy a Home?

NellyBell

Registered Member
What's the best time to buy a house? My husband I have been renting for years because we keep moving place-to-place thanks to the military. We haven't really found a place we'd love to settle down but all of our locations are great places to get a house to rent (once again, thanks to the military). My husband had a dream to have a house before he turned 30. That didn't happen but he still wants to get one soon. I just don't know if it's the right time, even though we are ready financially. What made you take the jump and buy a home?

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
What's the best time to buy a house? My husband I have been renting for years because we keep moving place-to-place thanks to the military. We haven't really found a place we'd love to settle down but all of our locations are great places to get a house to rent (once again, thanks to the military). My husband had a dream to have a house before he turned 30. That didn't happen but he still wants to get one soon. I just don't know if it's the right time, even though we are ready financially. What made you take the jump and buy a home?
I think I just got tired of paying for someone else's mortgage and helping someone else get the equity. Yes, sometimes renting is better, like when our boiler went and we had to pay the replacement ourselves, but the tax break and the equity we are building is really making it worth it. Plus, our mortgage is cheaper than typical rent in our area for homes and apartments of this size.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you are moving a lot renting is probably better, don't have to worry about selling your house but I can understand wanting to own one. Anytime is probably a good time to buy if you find one you like and the owner is willing to deal.

NellyBell

Registered Member
I think I just got tired of paying for someone else's mortgage and helping someone else get the equity. Yes, sometimes renting is better, like when our boiler went and we had to pay the replacement ourselves, but the tax break and the equity we are building is really making it worth it. Plus, our mortgage is cheaper than typical rent in our area for homes and apartments of this size.
Huh. I'd never really looked at it that way before but you're totally right. Renting does have its perks but only once have we had a super responsive property manager. Our current one is the worst. She needs everything from us PRONTO and then still hasn't done crap she promised us she'd do two years ago. So even that's not really a perk for us right now.

If you are moving a lot renting is probably better, don't have to worry about selling your house but I can understand wanting to own one. Anytime is probably a good time to buy if you find one you like and the owner is willing to deal.
For right now, it probably is, unfortunately. I'd love to own a home, but it would suck to have to leave it soon and leave it in the hands of renters. Especially since a really big thing for me is getting to, you know, make a home and put some investment into it. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled just in case something great pops up...or we figure out where we'd like to settle down eventually.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
For right now, it probably is, unfortunately. I'd love to own a home, but it would suck to have to leave it soon and leave it in the hands of renters. Especially since a really big thing for me is getting to, you know, make a home and put some investment into it. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled just in case something great pops up...or we figure out where we'd like to settle down eventually.
When my husband worked for the rail road we moved a lot. Once we found a house we really liked and wanted it but decided against buying it. Happy we did because we moved a few months later. It would have been a headache to sell or rent since we moved to a different state.

Interis

Registered Member
When and where to buy a home largely depends on your future plans. Where do you see your family once your husband doesn't have to move around? Where do you want the children to have their education at? Do you want to live close to your parents? If you already have a specific answer to those questions, I don't see why you can't buy the house right now.

NellyBell

Registered Member
@Hilander That's exactly what I'm worried about. We -should- be able to stay in this area for however long he's in because there are so many jobs available here, but you just never know. I have learned never to bank on anything when it comes to the military.

@Interis That's one of the problems. We're just not sure. I would totally want to live near my parents, they are loving being grandparents, but they are trying to sell their house currently and while that's not going well, I'm sure it will sell one day and then they have no idea where they want to go. My dad thinks the'll just get condos everywhere, haha. My husband and I have only narrowed things down to wanting to live in the Southeastern US near a beach so my husband doesn't die from lack of surfing. I think my husband wants to buy a house just to buy a house, while I want one I feel safe investing in. So we might just need to see more eye-to-eye on that before we jump on anything.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was ready financially at twenty-five years old. My brother and I had saved up a lot of money so we had a good down payment. Since then, my brother got married and I bought him out and now own the house myself. I have been there since 2009, and I absolutely love it.

NellyBell

Registered Member
@Babe_Ruth That is awesome! You weren't lying when you talked about how close you are with your brother, huh? That's amazing. I love my brother but I don't know if I'd ever buy a house with him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Babe_Ruth That is awesome! You weren't lying when you talked about how close you are with your brother, huh? That's amazing. I love my brother but I don't know if I'd ever buy a house with him.
We enjoy the same things, and have the same friends. Therefore, it was easy to live with him.