• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is so great about the Goldendoodle

MissMe

Registered Member
The Goldendoodle is a mix between a Standard Poodle and a Golden Retriever. I have read that they are good for people that have allergies and of course the are adorable. What is not so adorable is the price-tag these dogs come with. They range from $1200 to $2200 each. Are these dogs really worth the price? What's so great about them that makes them cost so much?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A proper goldendoodle is a mix of pure bred standards and goldens. The standard poodle and golden as individual breeds are expensive, in demand dogs. Both have excellent qualities as they're intelligent, loyal, and very tame animals. Those qualities are shared by their offspring. It helps that it's a relatively new breed.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am not sure if they are worth the money or not. I think it's just up to the person.

My wife and I have purchased two pure bred dogs. One Bernese Mountain Dog and one Golden Retriever. Both cost over $1,000. It is worth it to us but definitely really pricey at the same time.

As far as this specific dog breed, I dunno anything about them. I would do your research and see what you can find.

MissMe

Registered Member
We are looking to add a dog to our family and I have been interested in them. They are adorable for one and the fact that they are said to be ok for allergy sufferers is another reason I am looking at them.
I guess it all depends on where you are from because around here a Golden Retriever is not a very expensive dog at all. The Standard Poodle is hard to find near here so they are a little on the pricey side.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
We are looking to add a dog to our family and I have been interested in them. They are adorable for one and the fact that they are said to be ok for allergy sufferers is another reason I am looking at them.
I guess it all depends on where you are from because around here a Golden Retriever is not a very expensive dog at all. The Standard Poodle is hard to find near here so they are a little on the pricey side.
As far as Goldens go...if they're cheap there is a good chance the breeder isn't the best. We saw them for under $1,000 but some of the dogs looked to be in poor shape...some were even cross-eyed. But I know that isn't always the case. We decided to buy from a lady whose been doing it for 30 years.

More expensive but this dog is seriously awesome.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
My wife and I have purchased two pure bred dogs. One Bernese Mountain Dog and one Golden Retriever. Both cost over $1,000. It is worth it to us but definitely really pricey at the same time.
You paid a grand for both or two grand for both? Since they're big dogs, it'll cost a fortune just to feed them. I bet they're fun though.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
You paid a grand for both or two grand for both? Since they're big dogs, it'll cost a fortune just to feed them. I bet they're fun though.
Each one was over $1,000, yeah, haha. It was definitely pricey but we are newly married and aren't planning on having kids anytime soon.

That and my wife, who is originally from England, moved 4,000 miles to be with me and if she wants dogs, she gets dogs. But this is the last time we get a puppy though. So next time will be cheaper.

But yeah, the food can add up but thankfully both dogs are on a smaller end of the spectrum. The Bernese is 70 pounds, usually are 90 and above. The golden is 26 pounds right now and usually for this age are almost double that.

And I have officially hijacked this thread...sorry lol

MissMe

Registered Member
It's ok Milz!
I looked at a Gooldendoodle near here and I think that I may steer clear of them. Because it's a mixed breed dog, they all looked different. I am worried that I may get one that may not be very good with allerigies. Would you be concerned with that?

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Each one was over $1,000, yeah, haha. It was definitely pricey but we are newly married and aren't planning on having kids anytime soon.
Oh, no judgment from me on how you spend your money. I've never purchased a purebred pet and just didn't expect such a high number. I'm sure some breeders handle the puppy's medical care like shots, spay/neutering, deworming, and a wellness check before it's sold which helps explain the cost.

MissMe, can you specify to the breeder that you only want a pup that is compatible with someone who has allergies?

MissMe

Registered Member
Oh, no judgment from me on how you spend your money. I've never purchased a purebred pet and just didn't expect such a high number. I'm sure some breeders handle the puppy's medical care like shots, spay/neutering, deworming, and a wellness check before it's sold which helps explain the cost.

MissMe, can you specify to the breeder that you only want a pup that is compatible with someone who has allergies?
She said she can't make guarantees and I understand that. My mother says I should just get a poodle and then I would know for sure that my allergies wouldn't go crazy. My dad tells me that if I want a mixed breed I should check the local shelter.