• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is More Important?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
It's not a condemnation. If society has in fact collectively decided that matters of origin and purpose are not all that important, than it is I who is obsolete. A relic of archaic thinking and meaningless priorities. Perhaps profit and distraction (and as you point out survival) are the only things that matter in the modern world. Could it be that contemplation of and search for true understanding and purpose is just another distraction from it? Perhaps dead end jobs, financial worries, and Facebook are the deeper meaning of life. If so, I am obsolete indeed.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Where we came from, how things got started, is not as important as where we are going, how we are going to end.

Notice I said not as important, I'm not saying the past is of no importance.

Trying to make a profit is survival mode. Once you couldn't survive if hunting was poor, now you can't if wages are poor.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I find it is the poorest who most often seek those deeper answers. Once you've broken free of the chains of financial responsibility, it's all about Golf and exotic vacations it seems.

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
Tell ya what, find me a flower that cures cancer.

And yes, lots of people exploit what they learn for money and power. Knowledge inherently can be profitable if leveraged.

Perhaps people aren't doing what you might consider to be a deeper search for meaning in a way that is visible to you, and perhaps they're not doing it because they're busy just keeping their heads above water.

Careful with that brush, its bristles are quite wide.
I'm not sure if flour will help but one box over is the baking soda.

Rapier

V.I.P.
No progress. At least in the US. The US is a scammers paradise.

When I was a young we used to marvel how honest the USA was in comparison to the palm greasing rest of the world. Payola horrified us. Later newspapers went undercover to expose corruption. Later still 60 minutes and its ilk exposed exposed and exposed. Now nothing cept aging scammers exposed cause a fall guy was needed. As we approach 500 American billionaires every major citizen complaint is branded as conspiracy theory.

What ever happened to solar power?

Rapier

V.I.P.
It's not a condemnation. If society has in fact collectively decided that matters of origin and purpose are not all that important, than it is I who is obsolete. A relic of archaic thinking and meaningless priorities. Perhaps profit and distraction (and as you point out survival) are the only things that matter in the modern world. Could it be that contemplation of and search for true understanding and purpose is just another distraction from it? Perhaps dead end jobs, financial worries, and Facebook are the deeper meaning of life. If so, I am obsolete indeed.

- Cham