What is more difficult for you.......?

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
Some people have a problem with eye contact while having a conversation......some don't. Maybe it has to do with what is being discussed. The question is:

What is more difficult for you; looking into someone’s eyes when you are telling them how you feel, or looking into someone’s eyes when they are telling you how they feel? Why?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I don't have a problem with making eye contact; whether it's someone expressing their feelings towards me or vice-versa.

Which reminds me, I knew a boy in Jr. H. S. that when he was angry, he'd look above your head and yell rather than look at you.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't have a problem with either of them.
I just think it depends on what they're telling me / what I'm telling them.
if it's something I'm sorry about, I get nervous and don't look often in their eyes...
If they're sorry, I'll look into their eyes.

Oh...now that I remember, I have a difficult eye contact with any guy I have a crush on/like.
They seem to make it difficult for me to look into their eyes ...it's like they would Immediately understand I'm into them.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Oh...now that I remember, I have a difficult eye contact with any guy I have a crush on/like.
They seem to make it difficult for me to look into their eyes ...it's like they would Immediately understand I'm into them.
That reminds me of a good story that happened to me :lol: But that would be off topic.

I find it hard to make eye contact but I make a conscious effort to do so anyway.

anmracing

Registered Member
I definately make eye contact. Where I have been, not making eye contact makes you seem weak and that could be a problem. It's one thing to try and stare some one down, that leads to fights but if your talking and you are sincere then you should be looking them in the eye. IMO.....

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I usually don't make eye contact unless I'm trying to make a serious point. I guess that was just the way I was raised. I have the most difficulty looking into someone's eyes when they're explaining something to me. I can pay better attention if I lessen the distraction of looking at them. My mind can wander when people get into long conversations and thinking about eyes, or having to keep eye contact, can be distracting to me.

What is more difficult for you; looking into someone’s eyes when you are telling them how you feel, or looking into someone’s eyes when they are telling you how they feel? Why?
I've never really thought about it, but I can only assume I'd be far better at eye contact when it's them doing the talking. I'm good at that because my mum always taught me to look like I'm paying attention and showing interest when I'm being spoken to. It's part of the reason why people often tell me I'm a good listener. (i.e., looking interested even if I'm not. :lol:)

Anyway, yeah. I'm rubbish at eye contact when I'm talking to someone. The more uneasy I feel, the worse it is. I even often look away mid sentence to the opposite direction. eh, I need to get myself to stop doing that. So yeh, I can imagine I'd be bad at eye contact when telling my feelings. But like I said, I've never given it any particular attention before. I'll go confess my undying love for someone right now and let you know how it goes down. :thumbsup:

Hiei

The Hierophant
I look people in the eye when I'm talking to them regardless of what we're actually talking about. I just think it's a sign of respect to look people square in the eye. Though, I do feel like I come off as a touch intimidating or creepy or something because of it cause I notice that when I do, people generally look around and try to avoid eye contact with me.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't have difficulty with eye contact. I think it's very important in communicating. I look at someone when I have something to say - to get their attention and to gauge their reaction (what they're not saying). Eyes indicate things. If someone is trying to tell me something important I like to look in the eyes though. Maybe I'll sense more if the person is lying or not. :lol:

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
I don't have difficulty with eye contact. I think it's very important in communicating. I look at someone when I have something to say - to get their attention and to gauge their reaction (what they're not saying). Eyes indicate things. If someone is trying to tell me something important I like to look in the eyes though. Maybe I'll sense more if the person is lying or not. :lol:
I also use eye contact to gauge people's reaction. Eye contact, I believe, is very important in communicating. The eye tells you a lot more than the actual lips are saying.
"The eyes are the window to the soul"

I look people in the eye when I'm talking to them regardless of what we're actually talking about. I just think it's a sign of respect to look people square in the eye. Though, I do feel like I come off as a touch intimidating or creepy or something because of it cause I notice that when I do, people generally look around and try to avoid eye contact with me.
I maintain eye contact regardless of who is doing the talking. People sometimes get intimidated but hey! If you're not lying, there is no need
to feel/get nervous.