• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is it you hear...

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
When you listen to music? Is it only for the beat or rhythms? Maybe vocals and lyrics is most important to you?

I wish to know what you listen for in music, so please share your thoughts.

For me it depends, if I am to club to dance I do not pay attention so much to lyrics or what is said, it is only about how the beats and rhythms move me in dancing.

If I am alone, I will look deeper into music, I love to listen to a song to find it's deeper meanings, what the artist felt when he/she wrote it, maybe this a strange thing to care about, but it is something I have always done. If I can not understand the meaning of a song I will even go so far as to look it up on the internet to better understand it. This is not true of every song ever, just ones to me that catch my attentions.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I check lyrics cause I dont wanna get excited about something I think is wrong. But mostly I like balance in songs. I mean, I heard a band last week and all the singers ever did was scream. Boring. But if I listen to Attack! Attack! or Thursday or Devil Wears Prada, they know how to mix screamo and melody and it sounds awesome! Also I usually like a heavy and fast beat with lots of interesting sounds from guitars and even other instruments. So yeah, the lyrics are kinda important but the sound is what I really like. :D

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
For me it's gotta be a case where the vocals and the beat combine into something greater. They need to have a constructive relationship, not a destructive one in order for me to feel like it's a good song.

Dabs

Registered Member
I do listen to the words of a song. I don't go to clubs or such, so that doesn't pertain to me. But I enjoy music, in my home, in my car, in other peoples' cars, etc. And I like to be able to understand the words, and a song with a great beat is awesome too. So I can understand most all kinds of music, with the exception of (c)rap, I just can not get in the groove of that shit.

Hiei

The Hierophant
It's all about the beat for me. If a song doesn't have a good beat, I don't care how good the lyrics are, I won't like the song. Actually, for the most part, I even hear the singers voice as just another part of the song. I hardly pay attention to the lyrics of a song until I've heard it quite a few times.

Impact

V.I.P.
I'd like to say I listen for the the music, without the lyrics, but if they have a vocalist whose voice annoys me, then I can't listen. Like Hiei mentioned, I listen to the vocals as another instrument within the song for the first few listens. I mean, some songs don't require you to listen to the lyrics, but some you need to, to get the deeper meaning of the song. It really depends. My favourite 'sound' within any song is a rocking bass line paired with amazing guitar solos.

I check lyrics cause I dont wanna get excited about something I think is wrong. But mostly I like balance in songs. I mean, I heard a band last week and all the singers ever did was scream. Boring. But if I listen to Attack! Attack! or Thursday or Devil Wears Prada, they know how to mix screamo and melody and it sounds awesome! Also I usually like a heavy and fast beat with lots of interesting sounds from guitars and even other instruments. So yeah, the lyrics are kinda important but the sound is what I really like. :D
Yeah, I really love a mix between sung and screamed vocals. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to purely screamed vocals, but there is something about just parts of the lyrics being screamed that I love.

Last edited:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Instruments, and music.

There is music I enjoy where I completely disagree with the vox, but unless a band can pwn my face off on both fronts I can't rate them very highly. I LOVE a mix of vocals - clean, harsh, synthetic, you name it. For example, I'm listening to one of my favourite futurepop bands right now, Mind.In.A.Box and they use a mix of clean vocals, synthetic-like female, and regular talking.

I'm not attracted to lyrics the way most people are. I can listen to foreign music all day long without a clue in the world what they are saying, if the music is good - I'm good. If it's something I really enjoy, I just use online translators.

Malice

Registered Member
When I listen to Japanese music I pay more attention to the musical aspect and not so much lyrically since I don't know Japanese. In some Japanese songs you can kinda feel what it's about though like Tsuki No Uta by Gackt is a great example of this, the melody affects you emotionally.

However when listening to songs in English I like if the lyrics are good. Of course the melody has to be somehow good for me to like it completely. I prefer songs without cliche lyrics though and without too much voice jerking and screaming. xD

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I used to just listen to the overall melodies of both the voice and the instruments, but i've turned into listening to the lyrics more now. even if the beat is good or the background is nice, if the lyrics are not to my liking or if they just don't make sense, i'll ditch the song.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I definitely prefer good beats and melodies over vocals. A lot of the music I listen to is instrumental. When I do listen to music with vocals I don't really pay attention to the lyrics at all.