What is it like to teach college?

Since I am considering a career move, and moving from teaching high school into a college position, I wondered what some of the pros and cons might be. At the present time, I am a middle aged male, and I have 5 years experience teaching high school math. I have a Master's degree in Business (NOT in math). I have not yet entertained a specific offer from a specific school.

However, there are several matters I would like more information about. Such as,

1. How many hours a week do you dedicate toward lesson plans and grading (combined)? One of the reasons I see the idea of teaching college as ideal concerns whether I will continue to have the energy to dedicate well over 60 hours a week, indefinitely.

2. What health plan can I expect to have, and how much would I have to expect to pay for it?

3. Do you have a horror story to share over some aspect of teaching college which you found to be unforeseeable?

4. With a business background and degrees, can I expect to teach math at the college level for remedial algebra or trigonometry? Or, should I expect to stick to business courses?

Please share what you feel is appropriate, and I will monitor this thread over time. Your input would be much appreciated, since I am trying to look before I leap.

lol. We're short on professors. Um.. but in my university, the math- professors basically range from old geezers to people who are pretty new to the field, depending on what sort of courses they teach. Then there are undergraduates teaching the courses they've just had, or teachers from high- school(college around here) or the previous few years seeking to improve their expertise, taking some classes together with teaching their own. So something to look at would be what sort of role you're thinking of playing - if you come to the class wanting more independent students, and think all the horror of planning a subject together with the rest of the faculty is something better left to others, then going to an institution for higher learning would be an idea. But if you don't have the opportunity to learn from others on the school you're going to to expand in your own field, or think that's not a good idea if it impacts your pay - then you will need to rest on your own expertise alone.

Of course, don't take advice about this from someone whose entire teaching experience consists of grilling first year students on philosophy history, logic and epistemology. (Well, that, and torturing teachers in secondary school till they went on extended sick- leave.)