• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

what is interesting on the outdoors?

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I have a question for everyone who would like to participate in this interesting topic. I'll try my best to ask this question to make it clear to answer what I am asking?

I would like to ask everyone what kind of experience have you had when you have went somewhere leaving your house?. . Whether walking around your neighborhood, driving in your car, or at the store. Anywhere that you are out and doing things? Please think of at least one experience that happened when you were out and about. . Think of something interesting that took place or perhaps something funny that had happened when you were out for the day and or night.

I'll be the first to share an experience. More than one experience can be shared. One time my Grampa and myself were walking two Schipperkes. They're small black dogs with pointy ears and no tails. . They're a little smaller than American Eskimos. An American Eskimo looks like a small version of a Samoyed. I kind of know about dogs because my sister used to train them. Now she grooms dogs.

Anyway Grampa and I were walking these two dogs a few blocks from my sisters house. . I said, “Hey Grampa let's walk down this street” . For I was curious because I've been on that street before. . We walked about halfway down the street and all of a sudden this large dog came out of someones front yard and was trying to attack Pandora the dog I was walking. . I didn't know what to do so I pulled on the leash and starting going in circles because this dog was trying to bite her. Soon as you knew it this little dog was flying up in the air like an airplane:eek: because I used all my strength to prevent her to not get killed from that big black dog. . Might have been something like a doberman perhaps. .

Then the owner called the dog and the dog returned back in the yard. . Grampa got mad at me saying, “Why did you choose this street to walk down?”;). I had no answer. Don't argue with my Grampa. He will get more mad if you argue with him. . I just thought well you know how was I supposed to know that this big dog was going to show up. .

Well that is one experience I had on the outside. So now you should get the general idea. Remember anywhere outside when you left your residence, driving anywhere or at the store being out and away from your house. . Share one or more experiences what happened interesting and or funny to you from what you can remember. .

Sophia

Registered Member
I had never been hunting before but had seen my dad and brother come back with plenty of squirrels for squirrel stew. So as a newly wed my husband took me squirrel hunting. We went to the woods and sat down on a fallen tree and waited. All of a sudden my husband got up and took off running. I had no idea what was going on so I followed. He had seen a squirrel jumping from tree to tree so he was running after it trying to get a better shot. I never went hunting again.

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I've never been hunting before. I never would have the heart to shoot anything. I guess I would then starve.
OK, who's next to share their story? Remember what I asked in my post.. You don't have to be on a camping trip. In can be anywhere in the city,
on the water, in the air...anywhere out of your residence.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
I was working for a company that cleans professional buildings at night. I don't drive and now with this I know I will never.
The lady I worked with was driving. She had an older car that needed a lot of fixing. One of which was that she had bad brakes.
It was winter time and snow had mixed with rain to make ice on the streets.

We were on the expressway and at that time was pretty trafficy because everyone was trying to drive carefully. We were sandwiched with semi's all around us.
The one in the front of us had jammed on his brakes. With the car I was in when she slammed on her brakes the car was sliding and stopped right before we went under the semi. From that moment I literally thought i was going to die that night. I went into shock and she wanted to get me medical help.
There was no need I was ok in about 30 minutes and just went on to do my job.

Whenever it is winter time I avoid the expressways now. And I will not get a license to drive.

Last edited:

Impaired

Registered Member
One of the main reasons my wife and I bought our current house was because the back yard ends in a small creek. I think we had a lot less problems with motivating our kids (and now grand kids) to go outside to play was having a creek with small fish, salamanders, frogs, etc. to explore.

We had Easter dinner at our place yesterday and we spent half the day outside and had to make the kids come inside for dinner.

I love the outdoors.

I went to a Catholic High School for the first semester - got suspended and finally expelled for arguing with the priest who taught the religion class. I was (and still am) a terrible smart ass. I am often as surprised by everybody else of the things that come out of my mouth. I would study the bible and bring up things I thought were odd and argue with the priest until he because red faced and threw me out of class.

I was asked NOT to return after the Christmas holiday. I had arranged to transfer to a new school, but they wouldn't let me start until mid-February. So in the middle of winter, for 6 weeks, I left home every day (my parents thought I was going to the Catholic School) while instead I went down into Fairmount Park along the Wissahickon Creek. I enjoyed everyone of those days, even the bitter snowy ones.

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I went to a Catholic High School for the first semester - got suspended and finally expelled for arguing with the priest who taught the religion class. I was (and still am) a terrible smart ass. I am often as surprised by everybody else of the things that come out of my mouth. I would study the bible and bring up things I thought were odd and argue with the priest until he because red faced and threw me out of class.
I can believe your story because some of those Catholic schools are kind of strict. Even though some believe that Catholics are Christians by definition they truly are not. I will explain sometime why not. I'll just say briefly that Christians don't put hope in Vatican City or in the pope.
Believe it or not I didn't know the difference and I was reading the bible about being baptized. I noticed when they believed that were immediately baptized. Thinking at that time that Catholics were Christians I went inside to talk to a priest. I don't think he was a priest but another part of the clergy by the way he was dressed.

So I told him I believed in Jesus and that he died on the cross. I asked him if I could be baptized because I wanted to be saved. Can you believe this? This is absolutely true. He told me that I have to study for 1 entire year before I could be baptized. I don't remember arguing with him. That's becuse that was the church rules and I knew I couldn't change it. So I went to the Presbytarian church next door. Since they knew I wanted to get baptized they sent me to a place that would do it faster.

Pastor Jim was really nice. He was like a true friend/ He was showing me scriptures that I really wanted to know. I never again went to any Catholic church for help.

@Impaired I'm just curious what was it that you were arguing about with the priest if you can remember? maybe you were right in your answers . It very much possible.

Impaired

Registered Member
I can believe your story because some of those Catholic schools are kind of strict. Even though some believe that Catholics are Christians by definition they truly are not. I will explain sometime why not. I'll just say briefly that Christians don't put hope in Vatican City or in the pope.
Believe it or not I didn't know the difference and I was reading the bible about being baptized. I noticed when they believed that were immediately baptized. Thinking at that time that Catholics were Christians I went inside to talk to a priest. I don't think he was a priest but another part of the clergy by the way he was dressed.

So I told him I believed in Jesus and that he died on the cross. I asked him if I could be baptized because I wanted to be saved. Can you believe this? This is absolutely true. He told me that I have to study for 1 entire year before I could be baptized. I don't remember arguing with him. That's becuse that was the church rules and I knew I couldn't change it. So I went to the Presbytarian church next door. Since they knew I wanted to get baptized they sent me to a place that would do it faster.

Pastor Jim was really nice. He was like a true friend/ He was showing me scriptures that I really wanted to know. I never again went to any Catholic church for help.

@Impaired I'm just curious what was it that you were arguing about with the priest if you can remember? maybe you were right in your answers . It very much possible.
Oh anything and everything. He actually is the reason I really delved into reading the bible. I brought up subjects like Elijah and the wrath of bears in ways that would make him turn red and throw me out of class.

He was such a pompous jackass that I could not resist digging deep into the bible for things that I knew would make him explode.

The school had a tough time, because when I brought my mother in after the first suspension, she asked what I had done and the truth was, I asked questions the teacher didn't like. My mother suggested maybe teaching wasn't his calling. She had no trouble punishing us as kids, but she was also very cerebral and I made sure that I never crossed the line with the teacher. I just asked questions in such a way as to infuriate him.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A friend of mine and I were out horseback riding one day when we heard something in the woods growl, a deep low growl. Never did see what it was. We have bears, bobcats, mountain lions and coyotes here.

Was out hiking one day when we saw a bobcat drinking out of a creek. As soon as it saw us it took off.

Another time when we were out hiking we found some old graves. Some were only marked with rocks. The ones that had a headstone was so worn it was hard to make out what was engraved on it. No one takes care of them, they were all overgrown as most of the area was with trees and brush.

Another time we were outside in our yard after dark. A friend of my sons was there. Something big in the woods was crashing through it screaming. You could hear limbs breaking. Weirdest thing we ever heard. My sons friend never stayed after dark after that. My son told me it really scared him. I think it did everyone to different degrees. Heard something like that once before on the mountain across the valley in front of our house.

Sian

Registered Member
I have not interesting experiences to add except that I've always loved the outdoors. I don't walk so well now but as a young person I was outside as much as possible, on my uncles' farms, in the park, the schoolyard where there were wonderful oak trees, everywhere. Well one short story: once I went to the park near my mom's house. It was getting dark as I was going home across the grass but the grass looked so rich and thick I thought i would take my shoes off. I LOVED being barefoot! Well, no sooner had I gotten my shoes off and started to step then my foot hit something very hard and sharp and my foot was cut open right below the big toe. Ugh. I limped home where my mom determined that I needed stitches and took me to the hospital. Stitches in my foot are nothing to me now but I was scared out of my mind then! They could hardly get me to stay still to do it.