• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is an acceptable age gap for dating?

michaelyxl2012

I'm sure this has been gone over 1,000 times; but I'll ask again. What is a socially acceptable age gap for dating? Assume the male is younger. This question is aimed toward dating older women.
It is my personal opinion that it depends upon a totality of the circumstances, including career, relative maturity levels, etc., etc. This could be my attempt at rationalizing a taboo relationship prospect, however.
I am considering online dating an older woman and am wondering if there's any point? I am mid 20s

Last edited by a moderator:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
As soon as I saw the younger man portion of this thread a quote from Frasier sprung to mind:

*Roz and Frasier are discussing older women dating young men*

Roz: Why is it older men are allowed to date younger women but older women can't date younger men?
Fraiser: I don't make the rules Roz I just enjoy them!

The truth is I am not sure why there is such a stigma, when you see an older women with a young man they people do not call them "toy-girls" yet if it is the other war around it is seen as a "toy-boy". I personally don't see a problem either way and in my mind I know there is nothing wrong with it but I do find myself thinking "it looks a bit odd doesn't it". Ultimatly I guess what I am trying to say is it doesn't matter as long as you are not bothered by what society thinks in the same way as there still seems to be a social stigma about people of different ethnicity dating despite most of society being more accepting these days.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I wouldn't concern myself with what socially acceptable as much as what works for you. Although from the name of it, it sounds like [site name removed] is full of cougars on the prowl for MILF hunters. But if it makes you happy, then don't worry about "socially acceptable".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sim

Konshentz

Konshentz
As long as she doesn't use a walker, she's fair game. ;)

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about it. Do whatever makes you happy, as long as it's semi-legal. Ha.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Personally I don't prefer younger men but it really depends on the level of maturity and their determination to date each other.
This is a very general question and it's hard to give an answer.
So like Jeanie says, it all comes down to what works for both partners.

The reason they are called toy-boy is because younger boys tend to be more immature than the female partner. So they are seen as a toy, staying next to the female partner. It's a mentality which sometimes is right and other time is wrong.

I always think about Madonna's younger partners when the 'toy-boy' term is
mentioned. Actually, these type of relationships are ridiculous to me.

Dabs

Registered Member
It shouldn't matter, I think everyone agrees on that. I have dated men who were 12 years younger than me, altho I don't believe I would go much younger. But as far as older men, I think the oldest gent was only about 6 years older than me. I prefer younger men, by younger, I mean, younger than myself.

Zenheizer

needs practice
It shouldn't matter, I think everyone agrees on that. .
Wait wait! I thought this was an acceptability thread?

On this new topic, I do think age matters, and I wouldn't date a woman 4 years older than more or 5 years younger, probably. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I think the SAME age is the BEST age or at least along very similar ages.

Same life experiences, same life styles, same agendas more or less.
These similarities in my mind are case enough to have happy relationships.

I'm 23, right now I would not date a girl who is not 20 or a girl who is 25. The age difference is just weird for me and I feel like I can't relate to a teenager, and older women are intimidating to me.

Dabs

Registered Member
Wait wait! I thought this was an acceptability thread?

On this new topic, I do think age matters, and I wouldn't date a woman 4 years older than more or 5 years younger, probably. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I think the SAME age is the BEST age or at least along very similar ages.

Same life experiences, same life styles, same agendas more or less.
These similarities in my mind are case enough to have happy relationships.

I'm 23, right now I would not date a girl who is not 20 or a girl who is 25. The age difference is just weird for me and I feel like I can't relate to a teenager, and older women are intimidating to me.

That's just weird :lol: If you are but only 23, why would you feel dating a lady who is younger than 20, "weird"? And how could you think a lady of the age of 25 is too old for you? Are you saying because you are 23, you only feel comfortable dating a lady who is also 23? That's messed up dude. No way would I stick to dating a gent my age. If I was stuck just dating guys who were 48, I guess I wouldn't date.

Zenheizer

needs practice
That's just weird :lol: If you are but only 23, why would you feel dating a lady who is younger than 20, "weird"? And how could you think a lady of the age of 25 is too old for you? Are you saying because you are 23, you only feel comfortable dating a lady who is also 23? That's messed up dude. No way would I stick to dating a gent my age. If I was stuck just dating guys who were 48, I guess I wouldn't date.
Thanks for calling me weird and messed up.
It's not, its my personal feelings. 19 year olds are not mature enough, I've been through 4 years of college and that upheaval of finances in my face made me mature a lot I think. Plus teenagers once they hit college just want to party and drink and be overly irresponsible.

I am MOST comfortable with a woman my age, because of the reasons I stated earlier. I'm a young man right out of college, I have financial troubles, searching for a full time job, and still live with my parents which I desperately want to move out. A 25 year old hopefully would be paying her own bills, living by herself and fiscally involved in the stock market. All those things I have no experience, because I can't afford to be independent at this point.

These are my opinions, and if your opinions are different then just say so but no need to throw me under.