• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What is a "Legitimate News Source"?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
No I didn't, you did. They are still more fair and balanced that any other news source. Besides, they bring balance to the otherwise left leaning mainstream news. How about the Times' motto of "All the news that is fit to print" yet obviously have a left leaning slant? Is that false advertising? False advertising would be based on fact, something you can show inconclusively. "I don't like them because they're conservative" is not conclusive evidence of anything.
Where's the proof that they're the most fair and balanced? You're prepared to call my points moot because they're my opinions when clearly, you're engaged in the same activity. Also, there is no "obvious left leaning slant" and nothing has ever shown it. It's just hearsay and something the right has been preaching to itself for a long time now.

I read this (recently and some time ago) and albeit a bit outdated on some sources, explains some of the reasons why Fox is obviously right winged. Also, before you denounce as left slanted, FAIR was founded by Jeff Cohen who was a regular contributor on Fox, CNN and MSNBC.

The problem with your point is that it is based on your opinion only. Most people find them fair and balanced, you don't because of your bias. How does that make them liars? How is that false advertising? It's opinion, yours, not fact. Judging by their ratings most people DO respect them, you don't but that doesn't make their claim false. That only makes that claim false to you.
So let me get this straight. I'm not allowed to call their slogan ridiculous due to my experiences? My opinions are based in those experiences after all, so it's wrong to disagree with the slogan's validity because it came from the things I've seen and heard and not from some mathematical certainty, something which could never apply to something as dynamic and variable as political discussion? You don't see a slant because it is your slant.

I'm sure we could bash salon.com readers for reading liberal news and they'd probably try and defend it the same way, claiming it is one of the only sane news sources without bias. Like me, I'm sure you'd disagree.

Also, if you think ratings equal respect, are you ready to defend Jersey Shore as a respected show? Nobody is watching that show because it's just one big circus of flawed people, right?

And I have to disagree with you, most of the people who dislike Fox News, and that would not be most of the people in general, dislike Fox because of their political stance, not because of their slogan. I don't think most give a crap about their slogan.
Wait, are you using your opinion here as fact? I thought I wasn't allowed to that, why are you?

And as for the Rachel Maddow example, she's opinion, not news. Just like Bill O'Reilly. That's not Bill O'Reilly's slogan, that's the network's slogan. I don't find much slant at all in their news coverage.
So a slogan used by the entire network has no effect on its underlings? I'm sorry, but that's just plain dumb and you know it. If you label your entire network in one way, you have to be prepared for it to apply to everyone.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Where's the proof that they're the most fair and balanced? You're prepared to call my points moot because they're my opinions when clearly, you're engaged in the same activity. Also, there is no "obvious left leaning slant" and nothing has ever shown it. It's just hearsay and something the right has been preaching to itself for a long time now.
You're missing the point. You're making the claim it's false advertising. It's not because there's no proof that they AREN'T fair and balanced. That's just an opinion, yours. That's like Ford saying they make the best trucks. Do they? The guy that bought the Chevy Silverado doesn't think so, does that make Ford's claim false advertising?

I read this (recently and some time ago) and albeit a bit outdated on some sources, explains some of the reasons why Fox is obviously right winged. Also, before you denounce as left slanted, FAIR was founded by Jeff Cohen who was a regular contributor on Fox, CNN and MSNBC.
So what? I conceded that, although I have to question some of the conclusions reached. How does that mean they aren't fair and balanced? I mean hell even Bill O'Reilly has guests like Dr. Mark Lemont Hill and Alan Colmes, unlike Olbermann who just has guests who just join him in bashing Republicans.

So let me get this straight. I'm not allowed to call their slogan ridiculous due to my experiences? My opinions are based in those experiences after all, so it's wrong to disagree with the slogan's validity because it came from the things I've seen and heard and not from some mathematical certainty, something which could never apply to something as dynamic and variable as political discussion? You don't see a slant because it is your slant.
When did I say that? What I said was it isn't false advertising.

I'm sure we could bash salon.com readers for reading liberal news and they'd probably try and defend it the same way, claiming it is one of the only sane news sources without bias. Like me, I'm sure you'd disagree.
Sure, but I wouldn't accuse them of false advertising.

Also, if you think ratings equal respect, are you ready to defend Jersey Shore as a respected show? Nobody is watching that show because it's just one big circus of flawed people, right?
We're talking about news information shows, not junk like Jersey Shore. Fox ratings compared to MSNBC, CNN, etc....

Wait, are you using your opinion here as fact? I thought I wasn't allowed to that, why are you?
No, I'm merely pointing out a claim of false advertising must be based on fact, not opinion.

So a slogan used by the entire network has no effect on its underlings? I'm sorry, but that's just plain dumb and you know it. If you label your entire network in one way, you have to be prepared for it to apply to everyone.
It has no effect on any opinion shows. Besides, as a I pointed out, unlike Olbermann, Maddow, Maher, etc..people like O'Reilly have guests on that have a different opinion that his, which makes him more balanced than the aforementioned people.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I would argue that the fairly recent Acorn scandal should have been viewed as an outrage by all Americans, but for the most part, it was only covered by Fox.
The ACORN thing turned out to be bullshit. One of the dudes who was portrayed as being willing to help smugglers of child-prostitutes, turned out in fact to be gathering information on said fake-smuggler, which he then gave to the police when he called them immediately after the discussion. His reward? Being portrayed as a monster in the media, and getting fired from his job. Why? Utterly irresponsible journalism.

The so-called "ACORN scandal" was a partisan stunt of the likes Micheal Moore has been doing for years. Fox is seriously nothing more than a goddamn propaganda mill. You'd have to have your head pretty far up their ass to see it as "Fair and Balanced", as they claim.

Cable news in general is pretty much a joke. You've got CNN which short Fareed Zakaria and perhaps a couple other points of light, are trying their hardest to be utterly benign and moronic. Then you've got MSNBC which I guess wants to be the liberal Fox, and wanting to be the anything Fox is pretty despicable. And then you have Fox itself, which would be a more respectable news source if they showed 24 hours of professional wrestling. They might end up with more viewers to (hint hint, Rupert Murdoch).

If you want proper news, run as far as possible from Entertainment Journalism, and that's pretty much all cable news is.

Edit: Well, now that I've got that off my chest, it's probably time I start ignoring all political discussion which isn't utterly boring and policy-focused for the sake of my health and wellbeing.

Last edited: