What innovative things can RPGs do to keep them interesting?

Typically, when I'm playing a RPG it feels like the same thing over and over again. Basically, the same game, but with a new coat of paint on it. Ex: talk to people in city, go to castle, kill boss, collect item, return to city and go to another castle. Repeat. It has that travel from point A to point B feel in every RPG I've played.

Is there anything new the developers can do to keep the RPG genre entertaining? It feels as if we've been stuck in the same cycle for the longest time and remain that way for quite a while.

So, what innovative things can RPGs do to keep them interesting?

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
New battle systems, innovative story lines that do not involve amnesia, the wannabe 12-year old hero, etc. To know what needs to be changed, you just need to look at almost any RPG released these days.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I like games with multi story lines, where you choose your own way and the story is forever changing from what decisions you make in the game.

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
I agree with Xeilo. Like Knights of the Old Republic, you can choose who you help, who you kill, and regardless of which side you take, you get a twist ending where you find out you've been working for the bad guys all along. Kickass.

New battle systems, innovative story lines that do not involve amnesia, the wannabe 12-year old hero, etc.
Agreed.

I agree with Xeilo. Like Knights of the Old Republic, you can choose who you help, who you kill, and regardless of which side you take, you get a twist ending where you find out you've been working for the bad guys all along. Kickass.
That reminds me of when somebody brought up the idea of a GTA-type RPG. Something where you have free roam such as GTA, but instead of an action & adventure game, it would be a RPG. Just thinking about something like that makes me drool. :drool:

orbitalcows

Registered Member
You should be in a sort of sandbox where you decide what you want to do instead of being sent on lame missions. Of course, then there has to be something to do. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any point.

BigBob

Registered Member
The one thing that always bored me with RPGs, a big one being Fable, was that even though it said you could "Go two different ways, Good or Evil", it was all still the same thing.

With the new technology we have, there should be RPGs where there are hundreds, well, maybe not hundreds but a lot of ways to go.

I was never a fan of Turn-based battles. You should be able to Attack and try and block whenever you want.

The one thing that always bored me with RPGs, a big one being Fable, was that even though it said you could "Go two different ways, Good or Evil", it was all still the same thing.

With the new technology we have, there should be RPGs where there are hundreds, well, maybe not hundreds but a lot of ways to go.
If you want 100s of branching storylines, play pen and paper rpgs. it's unfeasible to ask that a game have a wide variety of distinct storylines. It's not a matter of technology, it's a matter of time. That's basically asking them to make multiple games, especially if the story is one of the focuses.

BigBob

Registered Member
If you want 100s of branching storylines, play pen and paper rpgs. it's unfeasible to ask that a game have a wide variety of distinct storylines. It's not a matter of technology, it's a matter of time. That's basically asking them to make multiple games, especially if the story is one of the focuses.
I didn't literally mean 100 ways to go, I was over exaggerating it. I just mean, games who have only 2 storylines are the kind of games that feel repetitive all the time.