what image deployment software do you use?

Hello,

(If there is a better forum here to post this in, let me know. This was the closest I could find.)

I work in a 225 pc environment with 23 servers and we are currently using Ghost 8.0 and we're looking at our options before automatically going for the latest version of Ghost (which is Symantec Ghost Solutions Suite 1.1).

Firstly, I was wondering if Ghost is the only real product left in this area? It seems like they've purchased all of their competitors and either dismantled them or absorbed them.

Secondly, does anyone have Symantec Ghost Solutions Suite 1.1, and if so, what do you think?

And thirdly, I know this is kind of weird, but has anyone seen a formal review for Symantec Ghost Solutions Suite 1.1? I've googled it and searched a number of tech magazines, but can't find anything on it. I can't believe that that's really the case, since it's a pretty major software release, but I don't really know what I'm doing wrong in my search for this. If someone remembers reading a review somewhere or knows of a keyword I should add/change to my search, please give me a heads up!

Thanks!
Gwendolyn

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm actually interested in this as well. I have Ghost 10.0 Personal Addition, but would be interested in trying the server version.

I haven't used Ghost Solutions Suite, but I am a fan of Norton and may just end up getting this. Would be nice to hear some comments on it first though.

I'm actually interested in this as well. I have Ghost 10.0 Personal Addition, but would be interested in trying the server version.

I haven't used Ghost Solutions Suite, but I am a fan of Norton and may just end up getting this. Would be nice to hear some comments on it first though.
Hey, that's great you're interested in it, too. Maybe you would be interested in trying to dig up a product review of Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.1 (the current version, it is no longer sold separately). I feel like I'm going nuts not being able to find a review for it, since it was obviously a major product release. I feel like I've got to be typing something in wrong when I search.

Anyway, if you look into it and actually find something, please let me know! (For that matter, let me know how you found it, too!)

Best,
Gwendolyn

Btw, I have found this other product, but it seems to be exclusively marketing itself as a backup restore imaging product rather than an enterprise network image deployment (ie, full installation on new computers) system. It seems like it could work the same, but if it's not being marketed as such, it will probably be missing some utilities that would make life a lot easier.

Well, actually it's saying that I can't post links to other sites, but the company is Acronis.

Albey

Registered Member
I think ghost is prolly your best bet, thats what we used at the hospit, thats what we use in my government building, and thats what just about every school uses. Nortin knows this and buys anyone else cause because of the monopoly is nice.

Thermal

Registered Member
I personally like Altiris. I've only really used Ghost for local imaging from disk or pulling from the network. Altiris offers a full range of tools (not just imaging), and allows you to do it remotely. I ran a 500 client network with 12 servers completely by myself, and Altiris made it extremely easy.