• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What if the Revolutionary War never happened?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just celebrating the 4th got me to thinking what if the revolutionary war had never happened or we didn't win? What do you think the United States would be like now? Would we be better off or worse off?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Counterfactuals, I love them. We would most likely be much worse off. The Constitution would never have been written. We never would have recognized the rights we do. At that time much of the world still lived in feudal systems, in monarchies in which subjects are answerable to a king. Since the creation of the U.S. mankind saw an increase in his standard a living faster than any other time in history. Th advancements in history over the last 200 plus years are bigger than any other time. Ever. And not a coincidence.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think we would be allowed to own guns or many of the things we take for granted today. Canada might not even exist either, we might be one big country under British rule for at least another hundred years. I wonder if slavery would have lasted longer or been abolished earlier. Hard to say on that.

I also wonder if we had not been at war with the British would there have been a French Revolution. Part of the reason the people revolted was debt that was acquired helping us with the war, not that they weren't in debt already. Which the King placed a large tax burden upon the people to pay for it so he could keep living in style. So maybe France would still be living under a monarchy too.