• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV What if Sir Ian McKellen Doesn't Play Gandalf in Amazon's LOTR Series?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you probably are aware, Amazon Prime is working on an epic Lord of the Rings series that will span the timeline of the Middle Earth's second age.

An age in which Gandalf was alive.

The only thing is, there hasn't been any casting information released on Gandalf, or even confirmation as to whether or not the character is actually in the show. (By all accounts, he makes perfect sense to be in it.)

Ian McKellan has said he's interested in playing Gandalf, but that he hasn't been asked.

If they don't cast him, who else would you be willing to tolerate in the role, or would that casting choice ruin the series for you?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I could see Peter Capaldi being a very compelling Gandalf. He's younger than Ian McKellan but has a similar look. He's also a fantastic actor who would bring energy to the role.

Still, though, a de-aged Ian McKellan is the obvious choice at this point. He's still Gandalf to an entire generation and the role is his until he doesn't want it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
As you probably are aware, Amazon Prime is working on an epic Lord of the Rings series that will span the timeline of the Middle Earth's second age.

An age in which Gandalf was alive.

The only thing is, there hasn't been any casting information released on Gandalf, or even confirmation as to whether or not the character is actually in the show. (By all accounts, he makes perfect sense to be in it.)

Ian McKellan has said he's interested in playing Gandalf, but that he hasn't been asked.

If they don't cast him, who else would you be willing to tolerate in the role, or would that casting choice ruin the series for you?
What about John Hurt? I didn't know they're doing this series. Remember we did a live to film tour early this year? We have another tour scheduled in October (if the world goes back to normal then) for lotr's The Two Towers. :p

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Oh wow, and not even recently. :(

dDave

V.I.P.
Ian McKellan is getting up there in age. I'd be surprised if he did more than maybe a few appearances in the show.

What I'd be really interested to see is an exploration on what happened to the two blue wizards (who are also Maiar like the other three). They're the only wizards in the universe that there really isn't much of anything about them.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Knowing how modern media works?

Gandalf will be played by a transgender black woman who was a runaway slave.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Can't Gandalf take whatever form he wants? Pretty sure he can be a transgender black woman if he wants to be.