What If Scenarios

HabsMike25

Registered Member
This should be a fun thread where we can pick 1 topic a week that was newsworthy & debate what if that didn't happen. I will go first here & choose: What If Finger Poke Of Doom Didn't Happen. My theory is had they put WCW Title back on Goldberg & shelved NWO for good that it would have changed WCW'S forunates & perhaps slowed their demise. Fans were fed up with NWO & When Finger Poke Of Doom happened it was beginning of end of WCW. It started a bad chain reaction of events that quickly sped their demise

EdgeHead

Registered Member
No doubt about it. I've always been of the opinion that WCW's agony started January 4th, 1999, the night of the Fingerpoke of Doom. Logically, what Bischoff should've done was to start the demise of the NWO after Sting defeated Hollywood Hogan for the WCW title at Starrcade. The big blowoff should've happened somewhere in the 2nd half of 1998 with Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash settling their score.

I also think that considering Nash was the booker in WCW when he ended Goldberg's streak at Starrcade, it just made things even worse that a week later, he was handing over the title to Hollywood Hogan with the Fingerpoke of Doom. Fans never forgave Eric Bischoff for this slap in the face.

HabsMike25

Registered Member
No doubt about it. I've always been of the opinion that WCW's agony started January 4th, 1999, the night of the Fingerpoke of Doom. Logically, what Bischoff should've done was to start the demise of the NWO after Sting defeated Hollywood Hogan for the WCW title at Starrcade. The big blowoff should've happened somewhere in the 2nd half of 1998 with Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash settling their score.

I also think that considering Nash was the booker in WCW when he ended Goldberg's streak at Starrcade, it just made things even worse that a week later, he was handing over the title to Hollywood Hogan with the Fingerpoke of Doom. Fans never forgave Eric Bischoff for this slap in the face.
It didn't help when they had Tony tell viewers that Foley was going to win the WWE Title which caused over a half a million viewers to switch to Raw. Add to it Finger Poke Of Doom started WCW's demise. Some say Sting vs Hogan's booking at Starrcade 1997 was the real start of their demise where it could have started NWO's demise had they had Sting win clean. Instead of booking Goldberg to win Title & dismantle the NWO they made Goldberg look like a fool & turned Luger heel for the 1,256th time. Fans were mad & never trusted WCW again & it showed on ratings & PPV buy rates

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think we can all agree that most of the blame has to go to the mismanagement, stupid booking and letting the inmates run the asylum. One thing that's always touched upon by the former WCW wrestlers/personnel is that there was always a big contingent in the company that didn't want anything to do with pro wrestling.

HabsMike25

Registered Member
This is an interesting topic. We can all agree the night of Jan 4, 1999 was the start of WCW's demise. It didn't help that mismanagement & letting wrestlers have to much creative control & those who booked would book their friends better & bury talent who were very talented.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
You all should listen to the podcast on 83 weeks where Bischoff discusses the fingerpoke of doom. That's all I'll say and let you listen haha. This was only a few weeks ago.

I will say this...he does take ownerships for stuff...kinda. But at the same time blames TBS for most.

HabsMike25

Registered Member
I listened to podcast & though Bischoff made some good points there is no way he can excuse The Finger Poke Of Doom. It was the turning point of the Monday Night Wars & the beginning of the end of WCW. Yes higher ups played a part of the demise but egos got in the way. The only way Finger Poke of Doom worked is if it was the original NWO reuniting minus Steiner & Luger & if Goldberg lays out Hogan, Nash, & Hall to end Nitro. Then you can have Goldberg take out Nash & Hall in the following weeks then at Bash At The Beach regain the WCW Title from Hogan where stip is that NWO is gone forever

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You all should listen to the podcast on 83 weeks where Bischoff discusses the fingerpoke of doom. That's all I'll say and let you listen haha. This was only a few weeks ago.

I will say this...he does take ownerships for stuff...kinda. But at the same time blames TBS for most.
Holy F#$% it’s crazy how Bischoff defended the poke of doom. Thought it was a great idea. So damn dumb.