• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What I love/hate about spring

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now that spring has arrived we can say goodbye to winter. I already have Easter Lilly's blooming and the grass is getting green. It won't be long until the trees are budding. The death that was winter is ending and the land is coming back to life. The days are longer and it gives me more time to be outside. No more sub zero temperatures or a foot of snow then trying to clear the driveway so I can make it to town. I won't have to wear a ton of cloths just to go outside for a moment. That's what I love about spring.

What I don't like is the allergies that it brings, the ticks and wasps that want to attack me. No more taking walks in the forest because you will get several ticks on you. Give it a week or two and I'm sure the lawn will need mowed but I won't be able to because it will be so wet you can't. If it rains too much and gets too warm I'm sure mosquitoes will find a place to breed. Another little pest to bother me.

How about you?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Fortunately I am not prone to allergies, nor do I live in a part of the world where ticks and wasps are a big problem. We have them but they are not common enough to be a major issue as a rule. Skeeters on the other hand are a major pain, but if you stick to the paths and avoid walking through the grass you're generally only going to get the odd bite. I don't go about during the later part of the day because as it cools off the skeeters become much more active and they find me particularly tasty for some reason (maybe because I have Dr. Pepper for blood). As summer approaches, the skeeters will be less and less active during the day.

A bit of yard work isn't too big a deal either. I have a small yard, fortunately. No, the skeeters are really the only beef I have with Spring. Though I feel bad for those with hay fever.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We mostly get a few mosquitoes in the spring but as it warms up and drys out they die out so they aren't a real big problem around here. South of here in farm country, where I grew up, you just about can't go out at night they are so bad. Anymore they are twice as bad down there because they now grow rice.

Wasps now are really bad around here. It is a constant battle to keep them from building nests on our house. You really have to watch out for hornets too. A tiny nest will turn into a giant one before you know it.

Even though it hasn't been that warm yet, only a few days in the 60's, ticks are already out. I was hoping the really cold temps last winter would put the hurts on them.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
My favourite time of year. Wild primroses and bluebells, catkins and cherry blossom, lambs and fledglings ...
That wonderful spring air. And the promise of another English summer to come ...

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Early spring is the time of year known as "mud season" here in Maine.

But unlike most people, I see the beauty in mud season. It's not my favorite time of year like late-spring and summer is to me. However, I still like it, as I can travel to tourist traps without having to deal with lots of tourists. And I have summer to look forward to.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree in spring to can go to parks and other popular tourist places and it won't be crowded. That is a great thing about spring.

Another thing I like about spring is it isn't real cold or too hot. Just right for mowing or any of the other outdoor choirs you have to do.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I can't think of anything to actually love about Spring where I live aside from the pretty flowers. It's just a rather miserable season beyond that.

On average the weather is nicer during the winter. Sure there are cold spells and the occasional winter storm. But seriously, this winter was so warm that it literally was mostly in the 60s and even 70s aside from like a month's span (total for the whole 'winter') of cold waves.

I mean, winter isn't even officially five days gone yet and half of the days since have had highs in the 80s, which is already far too warm for me. And then there's the bugs. And then there's the severe thunderstorms and the tornadoes. What an awful time of the year. I will never understand why people like this time of the year... Unless they lived somewhere where Spring was actually nice and winter was actually cold. But even where I live people still hate the winter and love the Spring. They're crazy.