• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What History Did You Study?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
So basically, across your High School, Primary or Junior school etc what history did you study?

In High School I studied French and Russian history with an emphasis on revolutions, Chinese history, Australian history, a in depth study of the Second World War some American history and Egyptian history.

Some histories I didn't study a lot and would like to know more about are Japanese history and Mexican history with emphasis on the Aztecs.

Rowan

Registered Member
As an American I was highly limited. I leanred the following.

World History- Basic extremely vague overview of the past history of the world.

U.S. History 1 & 2- pretty in depth history from the founding to the current of our own country.

These are the only two that are really required. The rest is like U.S. gov or economics in soclial studies.

However I took an AP course called AP European History. It was like U.S. history 1&2 but only one class and about Europe. Talked a lot about Pre-WWI stuff like the foundings of the countires and the wars they fought. Then the second half was a lot on WWI and WWII.

And then we have Humanities which are similar but not the same as history.

I took
Ancient to Byzantine and Survey of Musical Literature.
------
Also forgot to add.

In Middle school in America we have a manditory class which is a super in depth history of our state. Its different for each state. I was in Georgia at the time so i learned just about all there was to know about Georgia history. People in New York did the same for New york and the people in Cali did the same for California.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What about still studying? Growing up I mostly read American history with an emphasis on the American Revolution. I studied some world history but I mostly focused on American history. As I got older I started reading more world history. I just finished reading Chester Starr's A History of the Ancient World and I started Susan Bauer's The History of the Medieval World.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
CO I'm more curious about the actual history classes you took in High School or Primary School. Not histories you studied in your own time out of your own interest. My list would have been a lot longer if that was the case.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I studied American History back in high school.

One of my history teachers actually told it the way it was, as opposed to the older textbooks we used in that class in which the white men could do no wrong, and the Native Americans were just the worst people in the world.

My teacher wasn't happy about having to use these textbooks. But our school district couldn't afford newer books.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So basically, across your High School, Primary or Junior school etc what history did you study?

In High School I studied French and Russian history with an emphasis on revolutions, Chinese history, Australian history, a in depth study of the Second World War some American history and Egyptian history.

Some histories I didn't study a lot and would like to know more about are Japanese history and Mexican history with emphasis on the Aztecs.
Asian history - and I don't think I retained much from it. I didn't like it. And I also found out when I grew up that we used books that weren't correctly written. You know how winners write history to portray just the good side of them? Something like that. It turned me off.

Currently I'm better with French history because it's part of my job.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Towards the second half of school, I did double RS (religious studies) instead of any history or geography. To this day, I have absolutely no idea why I chose to do that. I love history and geography now. Probably so I could get a small break from my friends since hardly anyone picked double RS and I liked being alone/with new people every once in a while.

So, I have to stretch my memory to think of my history classes. wow

I remember studying world wars, but other than that I can only recall learning about ancient Egypt, Romans, and Tudors. We did a ton on Tudors. Henry VIII and all that. We also learned a lot about nazi Germany and the holocaust in history class.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I took American History classes and World History classes.

World history is obviously really broad but hey, that's what the class was called haha

dDave

V.I.P.
I've taken a lot of history over the years. I'm probably missing a few from this list, but you'll definitely get the point.

American History (High School)
Civics (High School)
Geography (High School)
Music History (High School)
Western Civilization (College)
Early World History (College)
Nebraska History (Elementary School)
Colorado History (Middle School)
Late 20th Century American History (Middle School)

I particularly loved late 20th Century American History as well as High School American History. We covered a lot of events in America's past that most people just generally try to forget (stuff such as the Unabomber, Waco, and some of the crappier music of hte 50s and 60s :lol:)

Western Civ was fun because we got to learn a ton about Athenian history, Helenistic history and the history of Arabia and Islam.

Impact

V.I.P.
In primary school, I studied the usual suspects for England - Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, the Tudors as well as a general overview of WWI and WWII.

High school and moved countries and it was more focused on recent history (I prefer ancient History, I think). We did the Russain Tsars, Origins of WWII, American History from a Slavery point of view, New Zealand History, brief Australian History and I think that was everything.

I also studied Art History but that's another thing entirely.