What Happens if you Remove God from the Equation?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Wade8813, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Yet another thread about FTS' thread(s).

Many of the posts have had a problem with FTS' posts for a lot of different reasons. But one of them has been the involvement of God (to be fair, he DID say he originally put it in the Religion forum).

So, what happens if we remove God from the equation?

You have a person who makes a threat to kill billions of people, which seems like a big deal. Yet for some reason he tells YOU to choose.

You can argue that telling him to kill the convict would save the world, but it seems to me that he might have decided to do the opposite of what you said. Or he might have decided he's not going to listen to you; he just wants to mess with you.

It seems to me that any of the choices you pick would be basically equally likely to result in extinction. You aren't dealing with a machine that will obey whatever you decide.

Is there any reason to assume he's more likely than not to do what you decide?

2. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- If you put yourself in his shoes, it's not that difficult. Imagine being a psychotic, cold-blooded murderer, with such a strong vengence against men that you plan on spending the next decade of your life building, in secret, a massive weapons system attached to a space craft. When you finish, you bring along some stranger off the street, and give him the "opportunity" to choose between the world or a criminal, just to further demonstrate the evil that exists in mankind.

Yea... i'm sure he's really going to choose what the stranger chooses.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There is no "god" in any of FTS's recent threads. The inclusion of "god" is in the attempted and failed moral of each hypothetical story. They each entail some vague and ineffective attempt to teach people that god is either unable to shoulder blame, that he is always with you, or that loving a person (something god does not do) will magically solve the problem. The scenarios are ludicrous and god doesn't play a role in any of them. God only plays a role in their underlying message that FTS was attempting to portray.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

If I was the kidnapper, I'd keep doing the kidnapping people shtick, playing through this scenario until I found someone who wouldn't be willing to kill the serial killer themselves.

Then I'd play a video of earth exploding, shoot the kidnapped, and try the next one.

If he did shoot the kidnapped, I'd congratulate him on his new found killer status, and send him home on his happy way. Then I'd fix the serial rapist, cause it'd be hilarious... Wait, no. Then I'd tie up the person, stick him in the serial rapist chair, and grab the next person. It's even funnier that way. I might send the 'rapist' back home after putting their head back together.
    ------
    Basically, what you say doesn't matter in that situation. He's playing a game.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

Imagine... use your mind to rationalize what it would be like to be insane, that is, irrational.

6. Merc

No, it's not. It's part of the process of seeking any sort of understanding. You must try your best to see if you can imagine what it is like to be in the condition you are attempting to figure out whether it be a disease or mental instability.

7. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

You apparently have not worked with the insane, the schizophrenic or otherwise mentally disabled. There is no RATIONAL explanation for the way they think. That is what irrational, dlusional, insane means...

if you want to play a what if game, trying to out think someone, use the stock prices or interest rates, the price of cable TV or commercial air time, cigarettes or alcohol... that is where moral dilemmas are played out everyday in our society... not with insane murdering bastards...

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

He could also be an √úbermensch. Completely rational, he's just using a different basis. He may even be doing this for the advancement of mankind.

9. Merc

You obviously have not worked with them either as you seem to class "Insane" alongside other actual terms for mental conditions. "Insane" is not a condition and is still a debated term as it is nearly impossible to determine sanity in the same way it's difficult to determine "good" and "evil". I have enough education to know that empathy is one of the many steps to sound, reasoned understanding and giving up by saying "well we just can't know how they think" is not my idea of furthering knowledge.

People have committed murder and not been deemed insane. Jeffery Dahmer ring a bell? People forget he was considered legally sane and thus not eligible for the insanity plea. You seem to have a narrow view Kcdad but I'm sure I'm missing something here. Also, if you're uncomfortable with "what if" games then why are you such a frequent religion section poster? Why even come to GF's mature discussion section if you're not ready for a moral quandry?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
  10. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

Did you know that until a court of law determines someone to be insane, they can not be sentenced to a mental hospital? They can be referred for evaluation, but to be sentenced, one MUST be insane. So, insane and mentally disturbed people are often the same people... it just depends upon how they got into the mental health system.

You wanna play semantic games... oh yeah, that is what philosophy is all about. I forgot. Anyway, Jeffrey Dahmer WAS mentally disturbed, suffered delusions, was suffering from mental disorders, was nuts, crazy, wacko, sick and inhuman... but not insane.

There is no moral quandry. THAT is the point. You have established a scenario in which there is no moral decision to be made. Do you understand "moral" means to abide by SOCIALLY established expectations for behavior?