What happened to the good games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by dDave, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

There used to be a lot of really good games being released games that are still very popular today, games from way back when the graphics were acceptable and you could play it for hours without caring.

I mean games like

Mario 64 (I think that Mario Galaxies makes up for this now)
    DK 64

DK Country 1,2,&3

Super Mario Bros.

or maybe a little bit of Goldeneye or perfect dark

Other than mario galaxies no games that even compare to these has been released.

I want more games like this.

does anyone else?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well Halo can easily be argued as the GoldenEye of the current decade.

Also, games like Smash Brothers have become very popular as well starting with the GameCube. It will be interesting to see what games out of the current generation "batch" end up being "classic" games later on.

3. CaliforniaSteve

CaliforniaSteve Registered Member

Eh, I'm pretty much content with the games that are out/coming out in this generation of gaming.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Registered Member

I'm sick of Mario games, they have dragged out the series for too long, same with Donkey Kong.

Perfect Dark Zero was a terrible remake, I doubt they'll make another Goldeneye.

To be honest the only reason I'm fed up of Nintendo is they can't think of anything new, saving a princess is very boring, I'd rather have a story with proper depth to it.

Half Life
    Oblivion
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Fable

These games are original, they all have good stories that match the gameplay.

I like the way games are going, MOST companies are starting to realize that the majority of gamers want new games with new plots and new gameplay styles.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well it's not even like Mario games have a believable plot in the first place.. I mean, you are jumping on mushrooms and spitting fireballs. It's like a drug crazed princess saving experience! :D

That being said, the series doesn't really need to take a turn into a deeper plot, or more realistic worlds. People are used to the madness and this is what makes Mario Mario. Sure Mario came out of the era of 2d sidescrollers where a plot was pretty hard to do, but the princess plot has continued to work, so why would Nintendo change it?

I think there are enough other games right now that there is still room for games like this. I enjoy them myself but I also enjoy games like Half-Life 2 which are obviously entierly different.

6. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

Team Fortress 2 is a very fun, new game.

7. JjCrazyboy

JjCrazyboy Registered Member

just because memories of the past makes games better then they were does not mean that there not any good new games. The trouble is jumps from one generation of gaming system to the next seems smaller because it is not like jumping from 2d gaming into 3d gaming. This jump was into high definition if that is fine for you that is good. But it is not the experience most people want. That is why nintend wii is doing so well. It is a different type of gaming experience. That is why I bought a wii for something fresh and new.