• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What happened to "Global Warming"?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Has it now become "global weirding"'as this author suggests?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/opinion/17friedman.html

Is it now such a joke that the only ones that still believe in it are also wearing foil pyramids on their heads? So all those true believers remove your foil hat and stand up to be counted! :lol:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
"Global Warming" has now really been changed to "Global Climate Change", yes, the earth may be warming, but not enough to warrant a "warming" name. It is really just climate change. It has happened before and will continue to fluctuate.

The "Global Weirding" name doesn't make any sense. How can this guy call himself a journalist by using such an informal term?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What happened to Global Warming?

Nothing... its still going on. Just as its been going on since the start of Earths Rotation. Climate change has been ocurring since before life even walked Earth... in fact, Climate chnage could largely be attributed the reason WHY life is on Earth.

It was here before and it will be here after (pending Earth doesnt just cease to exist).

Don't believe me... what happened to the last Ice Age? I don't think it ended during the 1980's right? Dinosaurs were presumably Reptilian warm blooded creatures... Reptilian life thrives the best in warm Climates... T-Rex bones have been discovered in places like Siberia.... I dont think ol' T-Rex was snowboarding in Mother Russia, hit a tree and died in the snow.

Global Warming is not a Farce... but its not something we humans started, nor do I believe we can stop.

We adjust and adapt, if not we go extinct.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Thanx for the links! :) That was a good read and def a fun utube! :lol: I think it's important that people understand how crazy politicians really are so they dont get too close to them. They prolly bite(?) I read that Earth is overdue for another ice age so peeps can def chill when that happens. :nod:
Seriously (imo), global warming is prolly something that has happened a lot. But they weren't measuring global temps during the American civil war or in Ancient Rome. And I def dont get how a country owes another country cause of global warming since we dont even know 4 sure that people are causing it. I mean, meteorologists cant even predict the weather very well so how can they say they understand global climate change?

EDIT:
Those last 2 posts popped while I was finishing mine. Thanx for the extra read! It's still snowing here in Oklahoma so maybe I should build an igloo. And I def agree with Icegoat. I just hope we dont get extinct before I get a lot older.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The best story EVER on global whatever:
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.
From 2000. I am embarrassed for that guy. Hope he hasn't spent all of the money the government gave him to advance the propaganda.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Ooooh! That was an even better read, thanx! :D I'm in Oklahoma and dad says July here was always like 90's and 100's. But it's been 80's and 90's. He also said there was almost never any snow but we've been getting ice storms and blizzards since I can remember. And now it's really weird cause we never do lower than teens but it's been 2-3 degrees (F) for 3 nights now and it's snowing. The snow is totally awesome! But the temps are def way too low.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It always makes me chuckle when some heavy-breathing chump points at the snow and says "herp derp global warming derp derp!" Because it's never been global warming. To those that have actually been paying attention, it's been climate change for awhile. That's because the real theories focus on the idea of natural climate change and how humans are affecting that cycle. Mainly, how we're speeding it up and altering it thanks to various chemicals that have been released into the atmosphere the past hundred or so years. In the seventies, people thought another ice age was coming. Then in the nineties, they thought it was going to be massive heat waves. In the past ten years, scientists and researchers have come to realize that it's equally true that hot and cold extremes are coming, not just one. It's because of the natural rhythm of the planet and how climates cycle.

As a side note, I despise two groups here. Firstly, the scientists who run to the newspapers and professional journals with nothing more than their best guesses to stir up the crowds. Secondly, the pinheads who aren't able to grasp science as a fluid concept. Meaning, it changes and continues to change because that's the scientific method, you work continuously to better improve your theories and experiments in hopes of eventually realizing fact.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I always understood "Global Warming" to be a term that describes worldwide climate change.

It's because of the natural rhythm of the planet and how climates cycle.
That and how we can/are effecting the environment with overpopulation, urbanization, and other catchy words designed to make us feel better about/describe how we're wrecking this planet.