• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What Foods Do You Have A Hard Time Cooking?

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
If there is one dish that I have a hard time cooking, it would have to be soufflés.

The only time soufflé I had any success in was an orange soufflé with orange sauce.

When I tried to make a chocolate soufflé, it didn't taste good, due to the bottom covered with cooked egg whites! About a month ago, I learned that it was best to dust sugar on the bottom of the soufflé bowl in order to make the dessert taste well, but I'm not going to take any chances.

Elanor

Registered Member
For some reason, I can never cook a decent steak! Either I make the pan too hot and the outside burns, or I cook it too long (I like them medium-rare). It looks so simple to cook, but I can't do it.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Meat. I always burn my own because I have this phobia of eating uncooked meat. However, when I am cooking it for my other half, I can never get it just right. I always burn it unintentionally for him, but he will still eat it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Usually sweet things. I mostly cook savoury dishes, and I've never had much luck cooking desserts. I'm terrible at baking.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I try to make filling for a coconut or vanilla creme pie I burn it. I do fine with chocolate but not them. My homemade cakes don't turn out well either. I do fine with mixes but that's it. I do make great chocolate marshmallow creme fudge though.

I tend to get meat overdone out of fear of bacteria or worms like in pork. I'm doing better but I really have to watch myself.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The only thing I can think of that I have a very difficult time doing, is making meringue. My mom says that you have to do it in a glass bowl and beat the shit out of it, but I never mix it long enough and it's always flat and never looks right. I haven't tried in years because it just takes too long, and I think I get too impatient with it and stop too soon.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm pretty good at baking. I can make things like cake, cornbread, cupcakes, it's not too hard. I'm not especially good at cooking meat either.

I can cook meat in the oven just fine (for stuff like chicken or fish) but give me an open barbecue and I'll screw it up somehow. The sad thing I that my friends seem to think I'm good at it. :lol:

My mom is an amazing cook but never uses a grill. I guess I take after her (she is the one that taught me after all).

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I haven't had a lot of experimentation time but I'm pretty good with most things. Eggs, meats, but not sure about baking. I've never made a cake, muffins or anything like that. I'm thinking of making a cake or something sweet for Kim at some point but I'm worried it's going to be a disaster.