What feeling do you get....

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This might be a stupid thread, but I think we can still have good discussions about this subject.

What type of feeling do you get when you see one of your countryman win a gold medal?

I feel so proud for them, because I know they've been working their butt off to accomplish this goal of theirs. Most of them only have one chance to win, and if they commit a mistake then four years of hard training and trying to qualify goes down the drain.

Sometimes I wish it was me trying to compete for a medal for my country, it would be a tremendous honour to do so.

Another thing is that when I watch an athlete that has a chance to win a medal I get so nervous.

How about you guys?

To be 100% honest; nothing much. I have never really cared about the Olympics, the only time I have sat down and watched it was when Phelps was shooting for the record. I guess that would count then, because if he had been for any other country, I would've probably rooted against him. I was more rooting for him, than my country, being from the US was just icing on the cake. But any other event? Eh.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm happy for every athlete who wins a gold medal, even if they're from other countries, but I'm especially proud of my own countrymen. It's such a huge achievement to win an event you've been training for not only for the last four years, but really for your entire life in most cases.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I'm happy to see anyone win a medal regardless of which country they are from. I know that they have worked hard to get it and they put their life and soul into their sport. I think everyone who wins a medal is well deserving of it. And they are always so happy and overjoyed when they finally realise that they have won a medal.

I always do feel proud if someone from TeamGB wins, even if that doesnt happen very often :hah:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm like Echoes, I'm happy for those who win the gold medal. I feel a bit sorry though for the silver medal if that person was so close to getting the gold. :lol: Then there are events when I don't necessarily root for the French if I personally feel they're not the best in that category (point in case, in figure skating, I'd rather Plushenko wins the medal than Joubert --- of course it depends on their actual performance, but there's already a general preference there).

As for winning the gold medal, I think it's a great honor to win something while representing your country. And the whole ceremony where they raise the flag and play the gold medalist's anthem is touching.