What facinates you the most about your countries..

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm just curious to know what event/moment in your countries history facinates you the most and why?

2. Windwhisperer

Windwhisperer Registered Member

Well we had Apartheid and realised the Rainbow Nation. But even now with all our Political drama, it is making us unite.

Our Rugby World Cup wins was a great time here! Wow what a way to connect with the country.
    Im from South Africa by the way :)

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The event that fascinates me the most, the period of history I read about the most, is the American Revolution up to about the end of the James Monroe administration. If I could travel back in time and live in a different period I would choose that period.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The bit that fascinates me the most about my countries history is the period suurounding the Welsh revolt of 1400-15 where for a moment independence was sought from the English crown. But its not so much the revolt that interests me as a few people in it as my family were heavily involved in both financial and militarty affairs, and have some fascinating stories surrounding them.

5. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

What fascinates me most is how the Netherlands fell down from being a trading super power to being the bitch of the USA and the EU.

I'm also baffled at how people got disconnected with society, but that's more up here in the present.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I feel exactly the same. I'm not really sure why, but lately, I can't get enough of this period. Right now I'm reading Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800. I think much of my excitement about this time in history is I know that a Jeffersonian is alive somewhere. I sure hope so anyway.

7. CaptainObvious

I'm reading that also. I read the other day you were reading McCullough's 1776. It's a great book, I recommend John Adams by him also. I really recommend Almost a Miracle and The Ascent of George Washington by John Ferling who wrote Adams v. Jefferson. If you haven't read anything by Joseph Ellis I HIGHLY recommend them, like His Excellency, American Sphinx and American Creation. A Magnificent Catastrophe by Edward Larson is about the 1800 election also and is very good.

8. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

great. I am going to the library's site now to reserve at least one of those. Will I like Adams after reading McCullough's account? I'm really no fan of Adams.

9. CaptainObvious

I wasn't a big fan of Adams either, not like Washington and Jefferson. But that book gave me a new appreciation for him.

10. retrobreakdown

retrobreakdown Registered Member

What fascinates me most about my country is how many people feel divided between which country the belong to. Hong Kong, being an Special Administrative Region of China, is called a country of it's own. But with so many people being brought up and used to the English culture when the British ruled here, they still feel somewhat British and lament those days. For these people, who mostly have British National Overseas status, they'd have a difficult time telling you which country they belong to. For those few who are patriotic enough, they will tell you hands down they are from China. And for the rest who are neither patriotic enough and can face the fact that they aren't really British, they will reluctantly tell you they're from the country Hong Kong. On travelling documents when asked what country you're from, people here will put either Hong Kong, China, or if unsure they'll just put Chinese. I'm a Canadian, so I have no problems with that question.