What ever happened to Half.com closing down?

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I heard a few years ago that Half.com (owned by eBay) was going to be closing up shop? I stopped by a few days ago and it was still there, and as active as ever.

Did eBay announce that they were going to leave it up, or are they still planning on shutting it down? Has anybody heard anything on this?

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If you don't mind me asking, what is Half.com?

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Half.com, basically an Amazon.com owned by eBay. :)

4. karenlyn

karenlyn Registered Member

I've used half.com a lot in the past, and though it isn't always a great resource, I've found that it often is. So I was surprised when I saw this post! I did a quick search and found a source (it wouldn't let me post the URL, otherwise I would) that said that eBay had decided not to close down half.com after all. They had scheduled it to close in October, but will be keeping it open indefinitely. However, I'm not sure how reputible the source was!

5. ladygirl99

ladygirl99 New Member

I heard about the closing as well. I used it a couple times to buy rare books though.

6. katharina

katharina Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that half.com is still in operation... I've used it often in the past. Sometimes there are really great bargains but the thing that annoys me most is the individual shipping costs. Like order 10 books, movies, or cds.. whatever, and soon you're owing like $35 or more in postage and handling. I know that's the way it has to be because they are private sellers, but it sure adds up fast if you're ordering more than a couple of items.

7. palefrost

palefrost Registered Member

Ive never used it. It sounds like the amazon thing they have where you can either buy it for full cost from amazon or use one of the sellers at the bottom that might have it cheaper. I use that program and think its a really smart move on amazons end. Stops me from leaving the site to search out a cheaper option.

8. hokeshel

hokeshel Registered Member

I hadn't heard fo them closing it down. But, I haven't been there for a while. I found it a great place to by books.

9. SouthernGal

SouthernGal Registered Member

I've used it to buy books sometimes, too. I am glad to hear they aren't closing down. I don't frequent it that often, but I am glad it is there just in case!

I often use private sellers in the amazon.com arena. Though, I had one bad experience with that so I am not in a hurry to try it again.

10. hemisync

hemisync Registered Member

I remember when it was big news that they were closing down. I'm glad they haven't though I can sometimes get good deals with them. However I wonder about some of these sellers. Now that amazon has free shipping over 25 it is sometimes cheaper to buy the book new than to use amazon used or half.com really have to watch and compare with some items.