What Else Can Be Done?

Anthony1975

Registered Member
Yeah that would be great Bubbles I like the work Nowinski is doing now as he is a victim himself and fully understands how life changing a head injury could be.

Wrestlers are independent contractors. It's their duty to get their own affairs in order: health coverage, how the matches will be played out and what not to do. They are not in an union which is good because if an union was ever implemented in the WWE that would be their downfall. The entire WWE would become watered down due to rules and regulations the union would place upon it. If you think the current 'PG Era' is bad, just wait until an union get a hold of it.

Wrestlers need to take personal responsibility in what they decide to do. If management or writers tells them to do something that they disagree with, nobody is pointing a gun at their head to do so.

Last edited:

Anthony1975

Registered Member
Actually Vilky yes they are because Wrestlers lower down the ladder dare not disagree with an angle for fear of being cut or sanctioned.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wrestlers are independent contractors. It's their duty to get their own affairs in order: health coverage, how the matches will be played out and what not to do. They are not in an union which is good because if an union ever was implemented in the WWE that would be their downfall. The entire WWE would become watered down due to rules and regulations the union would place upon it. If you think the current 'PG Era' is bad, just wait until an union get a hold of it.

Wrestlers need to take personal responsibility in what they decide to do. If management or writers tells them to do something that they disagree with, nobody is pointing a gun at their head to do so.
I don't think you understand what type of stuff a wrestler goes through year and year out. They are always on the road, they take so many bumps through out the year. Some of them cannot handle the pain after a while, so they start taking pain killers, after a while some of these wrestlers get addicted to them since it's the only way their pain free(Kurt Angle as an example)

Now you might respond to that by saying if they can't handle being a wrestler then they should quit, well that's easier said then done. A lot of these wrestlers don't know anything else other than being a wrestler, and a lot of them can't give it up because it's their passion.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I couldn't find the article, except for a crappy wikipedia page, but I found a video the covers Benoit's death. Christopher Nowinski actually alerted the coroners to check Benoit's brain. If you wanna don't watch the whole thing, just skip to 3:11 to see Nowinski's take.

YouTube - Chris Benoit Death Story on Nightline Pt.1

Oh and on a side note, Nowinski's been blasting the WWE, since Linda McMahon made some insensitive comments about Lance Cade's death: Former wrestler: McMahon is 'kicking dirt' on Cade's grave

There is a shitload of pressure in professional wrestling.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
No but their wallets are screaming in pain. I know a guy who actually is a developmental talent for the WWE and when the money is there, you take it. You don't get to nancy around matches until you're someone that gets fans in seats.

Now you might respond to that by saying if they can't handle being a wrestler then they should quit, well that's easier said then done. A lot of these wrestlers don't know anything else other than being a wrestler, and a lot of them can't give it up because it's their passion.
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't see what that has to do with the organization providing you care. When in our society have we become so dependent on the corporation rather than ourselves? Their passion/addiction is not WWE's, TNA's, Japan's or ROH's fault.

I honestly believe 'personal responsibility' is a lost term in our society. Nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about when I mention it.

Now, with all that said, what do YOU think the organization should offer? What do YOU deem fair? Really, I'm interested to know how much the wrestling organization is suppose to do for the wrestlers.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
So if you were hired for a job vilky and you went to use the bathroom and they told you "No, you should have done that earlier, we're not here to support you," you'd be pissed, right? These guys go through a lot of hell and like I just said, unless you reach the Triple H or John Cena level, you really don't have any say in the matches you compete in. The WWE already provides some basic care for their performers as it's in their best interests to. Think of it this way:

All athletes work by contracts. What kind of outrage do you think there'd be if suddenly the MLB, NFL or NBA decided to stop offering ANYTHING in terms of services or care for their athletes?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
All wrestlers are contract workers like Vilky said, I haven't agreed with him on much stuff recently but a Union in the WWE would almost prove to be fatal, unless the WWE resets all there contracts with there talent. Not only would the union hurt the product but it could mean strikes and other BS.

Now I have personally turned down contract jobs before because they offer no health benefits. Wrestler know that as well, before they even start thinking about becoming a Pro their mothers usually ask them are you sure you want to do this. These guys know what they are getting into before they sign the contract and it really is up to them not to do any drugs. I feel bad about saying that but that is how I feel, if a wrestler dies from a drug overdose, it is not the WWE's fault, it is not TNA's fault, it is the individuals fault. After giving this a lot of thought this is how I feel.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
That's true but Vince McMahon is notorious for encouraging his talent to take performance enhancing drugs. Am I the only one that remembers the 'Steroid Trials' from 1992? He probably doesn't anymore, but he used to.