What Else Can Be Done?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Anthony1975, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

It has been a horrible couple of weeks with all the deaths of a few people in the Wrestling business. Lance Cade, Luna Vachon and JC Bailey are the 3 who immediately spring to mind. The question is in the title of the thread, is there anything more that can be done to prevent such deaths or at the very least bring the numbers down?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Simple answer is No. It's sad but true, a lot of wrestlers cannot handle not being a wrestler or life after wrestling. A lot of them that get released and can't get another gig anywhere don't know what else to do, since that's pretty much what they've done all their life or that's the only thing they want to do.

A lot of those wrestlers cannot handle that and resolved to drugs or other sort of stuff. It's a shame really.

I dont think we we'll see numbers like we have in the last twenty years or so, but deaths don't surprise me anymore(well they do, but I think you know what I mean)

What are your thoughts Anthony?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

If you're trying to imply that wrestling organizations should do something for the wrestler after they have been cut/released, then no, I don't agree with that, Anthony.

It's a terrible situation that they are in, they just need to learn to adjust.

4. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

My thoughts are that it might be too late for some individuals in the generations that couldn't handle the lifestyle of "the business" and have already taken too much damage from drug/alcohol use and other issues.

I'm slightly optimistic, though. I think all of these deaths have made people more aware of what the lifestyle is like, I think that wellness and questions of drug testing are on the rise and that will ultimately have good results in keeping current/future generations of wrestlers more healthy in the long run.

5. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

No I wasn't meaning after they have been cut I meant in general. It would be harder for the smaller organizations to implement but surely WWE and TNA could have counsellors for any kind of problems the Wrestlers may be having. JC Bailey though died of a brain aneurism, perhaps as a result of the chairshots he used to take so they have got to cut out unprotected chair shots to the head because they are just not worth the risks that are involved.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

See, this bothers me. What if they put some guy through a brutal match where he takes several chair shots and ends up going to the hospital afterwards, just in time for him to receive a call from the company letting him know he's been cut? You see nothing wrong with that? Because in all honesty....that's disgusting.

7. Babe_Ruth

Well the WWE have done a lot to avoid brain damange, they banned chair shots to the head which I thought was a great idea, and you barely see anyone getting nailed to the head via a weapon anymore. The WWE learned a lot from the Chris Benoit incident.

The WWE have a rehab in place for people that deal with drug/alcohol issues, Scott Hall was brought into the program a few weeks ago. I'm sure if any wrestlers are having mental issues they can seek help too.

On the other hand TNA doesn't do much for it's Wrestlers, well that I know of, and I think they should change that.

8. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

My guess is that TNA isn't a big enough company to afford that extra step right now, but I don't think that not having their own rehab program = not taking care of the wrestlers.

I also think wrestlers will take more responsibility on the issue themselves. No matter what a company does or doesn't do, if you start to see people dying around you you're going to look inward and make sure that you're living a healthy life.

9. Babe_Ruth

Totally agree with you on this one Cons, and the WWE allows former wrestlers to enter their rehab program if they need help. Which is something that I respect tremendously.

10. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

I know I rip on the WWE a lot, but the truth is that they do and have been offer rehab and support to their former talent since 2006.

I didn't even know that JC Bailey was dead. That's just awful, and he was only 27! I think Chris Benoit had multiple brain injuries too, mostly in part by chairshots, that's why the WWE doesn't allow them anymore. I remember reading an article written by Christopher Nowinski a few years ago in which he explained how the chairshots Benoit had taken over his career played a part in the murder-suicide case. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post up.