• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What dog breeds are good with kids?

NellyBell

Registered Member
What kind of dogs are good with younger kids? By younger kids, I'm looking at the age range of infant to two years old. The only kind of dogs I really don't want are toy dogs. I've just got no interest in really small dogs.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I think most large breed dogs have the potential to be a great pet for children, it's all in how they're socialized and trained. However, I watch Animal Planet's Dogs 101 and golden retrievers, Great Danes, and Newfoundlands have all been mentioned as being good with children. If those breeds are too large for you, a collie would work.

Large breeds eat a ton of food which can get expensive. Have you thought about going to a shelter and getting a mutt? They tend to be healthier.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
My wife and I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and she's great with everyone. They are harder to find but if you can find one, they're great.

MissMe

Registered Member
I agree with Mike about the golden retrievers, they are great and patient with kids. Labradors are also great with children. We grew up with Labs and they were just like members of our family.

NellyBell

Registered Member
These are all great suggestions! I guess I should have mentioned one other thing that would be nice - avoiding long-haired dogs just because I have a problem with promising I'm going to make my dog be outdoors most of the time but then letting them rule the house. I hate cleaning up dog hair 99% of my life. Otherwise, I'd be all over a Bernese Mountain Dog. They're so gorgeous. I'm worried it'd be too hot for them where I live too. But I may just have to deal with the cleaning because most of my favorite breeds are long-haired. @MiketheGrinder I've considered a mutt, I have one right now and love rescuing animals, but sometimes I buy into the hype about some dog breeds being more aggressive or at least maybe not so great with children. I know, I know. That's bad. Behavior is learned. Being a mother has brought out this super paranoid side of me that I'm not very comfortable with. Never considered a great dane though, I'll have to look into them! @MissMe Labs are beautiful and great. They're at the top of my list right now, but still exploring other options.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Bully breeds are great with kids. They used to be called "nanny dogs" because they're so good at looking after kids and they are very gentle.

Pepper

Registered Member
I think golden retrievers are the best breed to get along with kids. Not only are they super cute, but they are so sweet, friendly and social.