What does your family think?

Vegito728

Registered Member
What does your family think of you watching anime and anime in general?

My middle brother and I watch anime all the time. Next to me he's the biggest fan in the house.

My oldest brother used to watch anime all the time but not as much anymore. He still watches some though.

My mom actually got me into anime when I was young. She still likes some anime.

My dad considers anime as "cartoons" and for kids but he doesn't care that I watch it.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What does your family think of you watching anime and anime in general?
My husband thinks that anime is "better cartoons" :nod:. My son apparently likes to watch it a lot. I can see him moving on to more serious series when he's older.

Now their reaction to me buying anime movies you recommended and watching it. My son was pleased and he likes to watch Chihiro repeatedly. My husband wasn't surprised that I'd get into it (actually buy stuff). He remembers me watching that old anime series related to football, Olive et Tom (Captain Tsubasa in English) that had more than a hundred episodes. I found it by accident on the telly and got hooked. No one at home could watch their show during that period (time slot was blocked by me, lol). But I've not gotten to completely finish it when the network changed programming :-/.

I think I can get him to watch the movies too (anyway he's a movie whore). He was pretty impressed with what he saw from time to time when I was watching them.

Last edited:

Obsessiforge

- Diderot Reborn -
back when I used to watch Full Metal Alchemist, my mom would always ask why everyone was always so high strung. I'd tell her it was an animated show, the artists took the license to make everyone intense about everything.

she kept asking.

I told her they were japanese (even though the weren't), and thats just how they roll.

she asked why I was always so high strung. said I watched to much anime.

I told her I'm not high strung, I'm just japanese. that's how we roll.

she's left me alone every since.

Sister: Also watches anime.

Mom: Doesn't watch anime unless I'm like, watching a Ghibli movie. Has no problem with anime.

Dad: Used to think anime was a waste of money (He also doesn't really like getting dvds in general, so it doesn't seem to be an anime specific thing), Still thinks video games would be a more efficient use of my money, but has no problem with anime. Even supports my cosplay hobby.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
My sister has watched some anime (few episodes here and there). She thought it was interesting. But never picked up on the hobby. She would just watch anime sometimes when I was watching it.

My dad doesn't probably even know what anime is...completely indifferent or oblivious to the fact that I watch anime. He bought me some anime dvds for Christmas a few years back (per my request) but he probably just saw them as DVDs.

My mom knows I watch anime. One day she made a comment that "the dialogue to this show is terrible..." I was watching Slayers (the 3rd season where the story degenerated into garbarge). Ever since then I put on my headphones if I am watching anime and one of my family members is in the room or I watch anime when no one is around.

Henskie

The Super Pimp of GF
My immediate family thinks that it is childish. The only other people in my family who like anime is my cousin mike and bradd

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
My parents hated Pokemon, but they haven't paid attention to any other anime since, so they don't have any real opinion.

I had a dream I showed them Death Note. (What a weird dream, I know. XD)

All 3 of my brothers like anime (1 of them being otaku). Some of my cousins also like to watch anime. If it weren't for them, I probably would never have gotten into it myself.

My parents don't have any interest in it.