• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What does you name mean?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I find it perplexing that a name can mean anything, except for the purposes of somebody grabbing your attention or sending you a letter or something. to actually say - I don't know - Barbara means she's got the breath of a wildebeest and the temper of a trod on snail. Or whatever, I find it pretty bamboozling to find that people have gone to the trouble of dredging this shit up and printing the meanings on mugs and coasters and hats and - I don't know - balloons??

Anyway, I suppose it matters not whether you actually believe the validity of the so-called meaning of your name, I suppose out of sheer curiosity it may tickle your fancy to tell us all about it. Perhaps see what different 'name-meaning-sources' tell you. And then come back and share.

Go find out:
What does your first name mean? Do you believe it to be an accurate assessment of you?

Dabs

Registered Member
This is mine...for Deborah:

You Are Influential and Skilled

You are balanced, orderly, and organized. You like your ducks in a row.
You are powerful and competent, especially in the workplace.
People can see you as stubborn and headstrong. You definitely have a dominant personality.

You are friendly, charming, and warm. You get along with almost everyone.
You work hard not to rock the boat. Your easy going attitude brings people together.
At times, you can be a little flaky and irresponsible. But for the important things, you pull it together.

You are full of energy. You are spirited and boisterous.
You are bold and daring. You are willing to do some pretty outrageous things.
Your high energy sometimes gets you in trouble. You can have a pretty bad temper at times.

You are well rounded, with a complete perspective on life.
You are solid and dependable. You are loyal, and people can count on you.
At times, you can be a bit too serious. You tend to put too much pressure on yourself.

You are wild, crazy, and a huge rebel. You're always up to something.
You have a ton of energy, and most people can't handle you. You're very intense.
You definitely are a handful, and you're likely to get in trouble. But your kind of trouble is a lot of fun.

You are usually the best at everything ... you strive for perfection.
You are confident, authoritative, and aggressive.
You have the classic "Type A" personality.

You are truly an original person. You have amazing ideas, and the power to carry them out.
Success comes rather easily for you... especially in business and academia.
Some people find you to be selfish and a bit overbearing. You're a strong person.

The lines above I underlined, are definitely me :)

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
my first name (10 points if you can guess it) means to bind, among a load of other generic crap you get with most names.

It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Rebecca is "to bind". Biblical: Rebekah, noted in the Genesis account as a maiden of beauty, modesty, and kindness, became the wife of Abraham's son, Isaac. The name was used by the Puritans and was common through the 19th century. Use of the name in the novel and film "Rebecca" also revived it.
I do agree with your name meaning stance, don't really understand the importance myself. I suppose if you were into that kind of stuff you might name your kid based on the meaning of a name rather than the name itself.

Dabs

Registered Member
My name (Deborah) is also of Hebrew origin...meaning "Bee"
And I think I recall my ex husband telling me that my name is in the Bible.....meaning Jezebel.......Oh great! ~Lmao~

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
My name is as follows with a simple google search:

Larry is short for Lawrence or Laurence which was originally a Latin name based on the name of the town of Laurentum (near Rome).

Basically I was named after a town...that sucks.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I remember doing an assignment in the 6th grade where we had to look up the meanings and origins of our names. I think mine was Greek. I go by Chris, but Christopher means bearer of Christ, if I remember correctly. Nothing too deep here. Although I like to think of it as Chris top her. ;)

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
"Katrina: meaning Pure
Origin: German, a form of Katherine

Up until the day Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, Katrina was known as a charming European version of Katherine, and the singer (with the Waves) of the infectious 1980s pop hit "Walking On Sunshine." It will take a while, but Katrina will eventually regain its appeal."

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Stephen -- it's an Old English derivative of a Roman name that means, roughly, "from the forest". It was popularized by Christians because it is the name of the first martyr, St. Stephen. I was named after my father who, in turn, was named for St. Stephen and the fact that it's etymology falls in line with our surname, Shaw. (though I'm not so sure my family was 100% aware of the connections).

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
Basically I was named after a town...that sucks.
At least you weren't named after a tree.

Ashlee - From the ash tree. Origin - English. Gender - Unisex. Fab.

~ ~
Also, most popular name from the year I was born. So while I may be named after a tree, at least a million other girls (and boys) my age get the same privilege.

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Aleksandar - The boy's name Aleksandar \a-lek-sandar, al(e)-ksa-ndar\ is a variant of Alexander (Greek), and the meaning of Aleksandar is "man's defender, warrior".