• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What does Christmas mean to you?

Dekzper

Registered Member
For some people it's a time of worship and reverence. For some people it's just a time to party, eat, and have fun. But most people just decide themselves what they want it to mean.
It's prolly the most mixed up holiday in history. The tree was taken from the Norse who wanted something in their huts to remember that the sun (and summer) would return. It was also used in ancient Rome and decorated with silver and gold. They also had a feast on the 25th after Saturnalia (one of their other holidays). In old England it was a day of drunken debauchery and the poor were allowed to steal from the rich. And Santa came from Ba'al worship. He would climb down the chimneys to steal children and angels were put on the tree in rememberance of the kids.
Anyway, with so many roots Christmas has become different for different people. So I'm just curious what it means for you. :)

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I think of Christmas as a time to celebrate. Not only to celebrate the people that we have in our lives but also for Jesus. I also think of it as a time of giving as well as giving thanks to the people in our lives and the things that we have. Also a time of happiness.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
For me, its really a time to relax between school and get my shit together. Of course, the whole thing with spending time with friends and family, which really goes without saying. When I was younger, I couldn't wait for Christmas to come along, but now I'm just like meh...

Dabs

Registered Member
Oh shit, I'm gonna get a bad rep for this....but Christmas has become more of a hassle as the years go by, but to me......the part I seem to enjoy most, is the gift giving.
The gifts "I" give to others, not what I receive....because I enjoy giving and making gifts...watching others smile.....spreading joy and happiness.
No, it's not about going to church, or the birth of Jesus, or anything biblical.....it's just a magical time of the year, when I can empty my heart more than usual....as well as my wallet :)

Dekzper

Registered Member
Dabs, no bad reps here. :) It means diff things for everybody and that's special and cool. I just noticed I forgot to say what it means to me.
I call it Yuletide and it means a lot to me. It's tons of fun but the best part is when I can do something that makes somebody happy. :nod: I thought the gifts part was just about money but I've been changing about that. I've done homemade presents before and they prolly mean a lot more than something from a store. I like the scrapbooks idea a lot and I'm gonna try making one to give to someone. But it's the music too cause that can make people happy and wanna care about each other and that's totally cool. I still get pumped up for Yuletide for the wrong reasons sometimes but I'm seeing more just how special a time it can be. :)

Dabs

Registered Member
Dabs, no bad reps here. :) It means diff things for everybody and that's special and cool. I just noticed I forgot to say what it means to me.
I call it Yuletide and it means a lot to me. It's tons of fun but the best part is when I can do something that makes somebody happy. :nod: I thought the gifts part was just about money but I've been changing about that. I've done homemade presents before and they prolly mean a lot more than something from a store. I like the scrapbooks idea a lot and I'm gonna try making one to give to someone. But it's the music too cause that can make people happy and wanna care about each other and that's totally cool. I still get pumped up for Yuletide for the wrong reasons sometimes but I'm seeing more just how special a time it can be. :)

Thank you Dek, and you are so right!!
The gifts we make for others are the most special..and scrapbooking is an awesome craft!!!
I enjoy it tremendously and have so much fun at it.....I can make them beautimus *smiles*

Dekzper

Registered Member
Thank you Dabs! :) Since I joined the forum I've been learning soooo much, especially from cool people like you. I'm gonna start one when I get my printer fixed and just go with it! We have a Hobby Lobby here too so that will def help a lot! Thanx for the inspiration! :)

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Oh shit, I'm gonna get a bad rep for this....but Christmas has become more of a hassle as the years go by, but to me......the part I seem to enjoy most, is the gift giving.
Like.

I'm not a Christian, but I like going to places and watching all the decorations and happy people. This includes the Church.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Christmas doesn't mean much to me as a holiday religiously. To me, it's a commercial holiday geared towards kids. The best part of Christmas is watching how happy the kids are when they get the present they've been asking for since July. Their happiness and anticipation is what makes the holiday for me.

Christmas is my favorite time of year, its Christmas then new years then my birthday all in eleven days. When you walk around the air is crisp and smells of pine (i live in Oregon, which produces the majority of the Christmas trees for the country) and there are fires in the chimney and going to Mt. Hood (a 45 min drive from my house) to go tubing or snowboarding. The whole time is about happiness, family, friends, and adventure to me.

Probably my favorite part is giving people gifts. I REFUSE to ever give someone a gift card. it's so impersonal to me and I would rather spend hours trying to find the perfect gift that shows how well i know them. I am newly religious but I still don't think about that side of things to much.