What does Americans think of Europe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heskey, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Heskey

Heskey Registered Member

Alright so I made a thread a while ago called "Move to the USA?". So I am wondering that if I did get the chance to move to the USA how would I get treated? What does Americans think of Europeans? Would I get less respect for being from Europe?

In no way am I bashing the US here, if I would get the chance to move there I would take it without a doubt.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Well I'm from England and I've found Americans to treat me very nicely. :p I will tell you this much from my experience - Americans love someone with a different accent so I'm sure you'd be loved over there.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Americans aren't all that xenophobic. My countrymen tend to be welcoming of anyone who isn't from south of here.

4. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

not all accents bliss. For example, you take a scottish, english, or australian accent and it automatically adds 50 "teh hawtness" points. But it seems like a middle eastern accent or maybe a south american accent won't award you any points, they just stay the same. I have a chart if you would like to see it.:lol:

But if you were planning on moving here TS you might want to consider how bad the economy is. You might run into some xenophobes in some of the super conservative southern areas. I know around here if someone has a European accent they will probably get treated a lot better, I think it is just peoples way of trying to say "i know what we look like to the outside world, but we aren't all like our former president." That is just what I have noticed though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. Jaszibabes

Jaszibabes The Instigator V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh, I think all the females are very welcoming to Europeans. But I agree with Penta about the different accents contributing to more hotness points. Scottish, English, and Australian are the better ones. The other ones are just.... blah. :)

6. oeran

oeran Registered Member

I enjoy German accents, to be honest.

I wouldn't think a European foreigner would have much trouble coming here. I personally think that Europeans, in general, are quite a bit more educated than your average American.

You might get a lot of the same questions that wouldn't be staunched by you making a public announcement with FAQs.

7. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

It does kind of depend on where in America you move. In the southern areas, you might catch some flack. All in all though, unless you start acting like a stereotypical superior European, then you will be accepted perfectly fine. You might be on the receiving end of some playful jokes from some people, but as long as you have a good sense of humor, then you should be good.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think in general Americans are very accepting of Europeans. In the south, like Vince said, probably not so much. Then again, they don't really like anyone not from the south.

9. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I love Europe and Europeans. Especially the English. Sometimes I want to go back and live there again.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

We generally don't really have a problem with Europeans. With practically any area in America with a big enough concentration of people you are bound to run into immigrants. Especially in cities with Universities.