What do you think

Y

Yukon

In Matthew 5:5 Jesus taught the disciples: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".

Have you ever stopped to think about the meaning of the word "meek"? What did you think it meant - humility, patience, or submissiveness?

I am a veteran of the Vietnam war and I have done terrible things in the name of the US Army. I consider myself though to be a very meek and mild man.

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
Meek huh,

According to Dictionary.com

1.humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others. 2.overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame. 3.Obsolete. gentle; kind.
I'm not entirely sure what we're debating here, but there is the definition.
I believe the quote your are referring to speaks of the humble, the poor, the oppressed, the sick.

In Matthew 5:5 Jesus taught the disciples: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".

Have you ever stopped to think about the meaning of the word "meek"?

Nope.

What did you think it meant - humility, patience, or submissiveness?
The humbly patient men in the world will inherit the earth.

I am a veteran of the Vietnam war and I have done terrible things in the name of the US Army. I consider myself though to be a very meek and mild man.
That would only be the case if the submissive part was the intended meaning....

Humility is a key ingredient of meekness .. the bible itself is a deviation from humility .. to presume a place between the people & their connection with god is arrogant ..

We are meek when we observe each others choice humbly .. we are arrogant when we presume superiority over others ..

R

rozzlapeed

Let the meek inherit the earth. It ought to be a real fixer-upper by the time I get done with it.

Gavik

Registered Member

Have you ever stopped to think about the meaning of the word "meek"? What did you think it meant - humility, patience, or submissiveness?

Meek so that they wouldn't be violent and would be submissive to God.

Let the meek inherit the earth. It ought to be a real fixer-upper by the time I get done with it.
Yea, you and me both.

pikatore

Registered Member

It's rubbish. The strong HAVE, DO, AND WILL inherit the Earth. At the end of the day, it's those that dominate and take action, even if there may be moral bumps in the road, so to speak, that have the most control on this planet.

this 'moral justice' that will occur as quoted in the bible is rubbish. unless this god plans to directly intervene, and more or less kill off all the dominant people.

Then again, it hurts my head when I try to sensibly interpret bible passages.