What do you think of beauty pageants?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysabel, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Do you enjoy watching them?

If you knew someone whom you feel has a great chance of winning, would you encourage that person to participate?

As a woman, do you feel degraded by the existence of pageants or do you think it's a good opportunity to show that there can be brains behind the good looks?

As a man, do you feel that pageants give women a bad name? Would you find it ok if your partner wants to participate in a beauty pageant?

Major likes this.

2. padd

padd Registered Member

models who partcipate in pageants are dumb.. they dont even eat. I knew somebody who was a model.. she didnt even eat lunch, idk if it was me i;d starve, i guess they made her think you can get fat eating 3 meals a day.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Blah.. I see clips of it on the news and it does not entertain me ONE bit. All the women look the same, act the same and give the same answers. I might enjoy it if there were real women on there instead of the big hair, tight dress, fake answer givers on there.

We. Need. Real. WOMEN!

4. pus_in_boots

pus_in_boots Registered Member

Too right. They all seem so artificial and a lot of them aren't even that good-looking.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I find them boring. I don't get why people get so excited about them. I wouldn't want to be looked at in that way and judged for it.

Major likes this.
  6. pus_in_boots

pus_in_boots Registered Member

In that case, you better not go to any public places until the 21st century is over.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

You mean like..."world peace" ? :lol:

I like watching it but mostly the Q and A part. Without that portion it's like just watching any models on the ramp and I don't find those interesting.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Being judged on beauty is different to being looked at by a random on the street.

9. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

I don't like them only because the models go to such extremes, like starving themselves. I don't think skinny as bones is pretty either.

I'd like to see healthy woman in them, not some walking skeletons.

Also, a friend of mine is a catwalk model, and they are very strict with her about what she can and can not do. Her skin is fair and they forbid her to be out in the sun, because she would get freckles and they say that 'takes away' from her beauty.
    I would never limit my life in that way, shame they have to.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

Necessarily, if someone is physically beautiful, then they are physically attractive. If they are physically attractive, then it is possible that they get positive feedback about their attractiveness. If it is possible that they get positive feedback about their attractiveness, then it is possible that they like that feedback. If it is possible that they like that feedback, then it is possible that they will seek that sort of feedback in a beauty contest. If they seek that sort of feedback in a beauty contest, then their participation in a beauty contest is voluntary on their part. If their participation in a beauty contest is voluntary on their part, then there is nothing wrong with them being in such a contest. Therefore, if someone is physically beautiful and their participation in a beauty contest is voluntary on their part, then there is nothing wrong with them being in such a contest.

Note: this applies equally to both genders.