What do you think about the "Mac vs. PC" adds?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by macman, Jan 6, 2008.

1. macman

macman Registered Member

What do you think about the "Mac vs. PC" adds? I really like them.
    I think apple does good with advertising. I think that their commercials are funny, as opposed to those long infomercials where they repeat everything, and say "call now and we'll give you __________ for FREE!!"

I'm just wondering if how many people like them...do any of you hate them??? If you do say why--and if you like them, then why?:)

Click the link to see all of the adds:
    Apple - Get a Mac

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

They're so blatantly obvious in their advertising strategy that it's pathetic.

"Hi, I'm a Mac! I'm young, hip, cool, and thus, white. I wear clothes that look like I've owned them for centuries even though I bought them for $95 and I voted democrat!"

"Hi, I'm a PC! I'm like your grouchy grandfather, I'm no fun and all work. I'm socially awkward and hang out with strange and dysfunctional people (peripherals) and wear silly clothes, like suits!"

It's just flat out dumb and doesn't disprove the truth that a Mac is basically a computer for morons (AKA, Fisher Price My First Computer).

Simple Computer, simple consumers, simple ads. It all makes sense.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

And thus, the flames begin...

*EDIT*
    Really should have said something on topic...

I really pay no attention to them, but I do love the parody ads.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the ads work, and that's what matters

I'm sure Apple isn't sitting around trying to think of a generic ad that will keep everybody happy. I see them as "in good fun".

Cons you must not realize that Microsoft owns a good portion of Apple. I'm sure Microsoft could care less about these ads. In the end the computer industry moves forward, and I really doubt Apple is stealing Microsoft users based solely on their ads.

5. Merc

I wasn't flaming.

It's true, their strategy is clear to see and lame to top it off. Only a moron couldn't see through their marketing strategy. They make the Mac look to be cool, sociable, trendy, smart, contemporary, and soft, all the values of our soft-assed society these days.

EDIT - Prove to me that Microsoft owns part of Apple. I hear that rumor all the time and no proof is ever presented. Hybrix, you also said that the ads work then go on to say that you doubt they're getting any users. Contradiction much? The ads are subtly insulting, it's how they work. I just think they're lame.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  6. Mirage

I really hope you aren't typing that from your user friendly Windows GUI based computer. Surely somebody so ignorant of Mac's wouldn't be using the most popular entry level operating system out there.

Perhaps you are using Linux?

I mean come on though.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I realise that, but calling Mac users morons is pretty much going to bring the true flames in. If it does, I'll be sitting on the side with a tub of popcorn.

8. Merc

Macs are so easy to use that whenever I've sat down to use one, I feel like the thing is making fun of me.

So, because Windows is popular . . . it's easy to use? That logic doesn't really follow, but if you insist . . .

I say that Macs are too easy to use because that's the truth. Macs are designed to be super-easy to use which is a great idea, but when something is so easy to use, it removes a lot of customization options. I mean, Windows is easy to tweak and fix up if you're at least a bit computer savvy.

9. Mirage

I was just trying to bring up that Windows isn't exactly the hardest OS to use either.

I agree that Macs are easy, but what's so wrong with that? I prefer Windows myself, but if you really want to you can actually run Windows quite well on a Mac.

Again, I don't use Mac's, but, I respect what they are good for. They are VERY stable for doing large scale graphic projects, as opposed to Windows, where Photoshop and other design software crashes a few times a day for me. Though I hear things are much better on Vista...

10. Merc

I've never had a real problem using Windows. It just bugs me when I hear these Mac purists babbling on about how Macs are so damned perfect. The only thing they're good for is movie making.