• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What do you think about shy people?

karaixx

Registered Member
Do you admire any person who is shy?
Is being shy a very bad quality?
Do shy people lose a lot of things in life?
Share your thoughts on this...

Bliss

Sally Twit
I wouldn't say I admire someone for being shy. But it isn't a bad trait by any means. It's very common. And most of us will feel shy sometimes. You shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

It could be meeting new people, it could be talking about yourself, asking a question, going on a date etc.

I am shy quite a lot, especially around new people or large groups.

Not sure what you mean by 'losing a lot of things in life'.

musaid

Registered Member
My best friend is really shy and I notice how different she is around other people or when she's not comfortable.

I think the main thing is that you care too much about what other people think, this isn't necessarily bad, it just makes you shy and afraid of what they might think.

I know it's not easy but really, does it matter if someone saw you drop a pencil? No, everyone does silly things like that.

If you say something they don't agree with and they think you're stupid, that's okay, that's just their opinion... it doesn't make you stupid.

If someone sees what you do and thinks "That was weird" that doesn't mean they think you're weird, because there are a lot of things that make up their perception of you, not just that one occasion.

[Sorry it's a lot to read]
Good Luck​

Shwa

V.I.P.
Admire? Absolutely not, if someone is still shy in social settings that's nothing to be admirable about. yes, we all are shy in our own way, but there's like a limit and like said before, they are missing out on a lot if they tend to stay to themselves all the time. I've been told I'm shy myself, but when I'm around new people I'm just quiet or listen more to the conversations before I make an input of my own. Just how I usually start things off.

I have nothing against shy people, but I think that there's a time for them to learn on their own to expand their horizons to meet new people and try new things in their life.

~Shwa

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I used to be shy when I was a child, I hardly spoke to anyone. Actually I was still quite shy right up until my late teens. I'm 20 now and am okay in most social environments. I can be with large groups of people and don't mind chatting to everyone but I still get a bit uncomfortable if I am in a large group for a long time. I'm also considered very quiet by normal standards. So when it comes to other shy people I don't admire them or dislike them but I can relate to them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
There's nothing bad about being shy but I do get your point though.
Sometimes shy people are not agile enough to take new chances in different situations.
Generally I'm not a shy person. But It really depends on the situation.
What I dislike are shy guys because they are not initiative about anything.

But of course, being shy is not admirable.

karaixx

Registered Member
I wouldn't say I admire someone for being shy. But it isn't a bad trait by any means. It's very common. And most of us will feel shy sometimes. You shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

It could be meeting new people, it could be talking about yourself, asking a question, going on a date etc.

I am shy quite a lot, especially around new people or large groups.

Not sure what you mean by 'losing a lot of things in life'.
Sorry, I meant "missing out on a lot of things in life".

shelgarr

Registered Member
Absolutely I admire those that are shy! And yes, they get as much out of life as others. My view is that they are observers, thinkers, and listeners. Amongst those that they are at ease with, they are articulate, smart, funny, introspective, and wise. The world is made up of extroverts and introverts. Power to the introvert!!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't want to sound harsh when I say this because I know how it feels to be shy, but I need to get out of their shell and get out there. Shy people tend to miss on a lot of opportunities because they're afraid of getting shut down, or pursue something since they are to shy to talk to a certain someone.

I do think that you miss out on a lot of stuff if you're a shy person.

That said, I don't think of someone any less if they're shy.

viLky

ykLiv
Do you admire any person who is shy?
Is being shy a very bad quality?
Do shy people lose a lot of things in life?
For all of this I have to agree with BR, I do feel you'll miss out on some things in life if you are too shy. You might see a girl/guy you like and are too shy to ask them out. You gain NOTHING from not trying. At least if you tried and got rejected you'll gain some sort of experience. I always turn it into a (video) game where:

Ask Girl/Guy Out:
Rejected: 76
Accepted: 3
--Achievements Unlocked!
o Get turned down 25 time(s)
o Get turned down 50 time(s)
o Get turned down 75 time(s)
o Get accepted 1 time(s)

It's stupid, but it makes getting rejected less hurtful. ^.^

ANYWAYS, with all of that nonsense out of the way, I have a short story to tell. I realized there NEEDS to be an icebreaker in the group. There seems to be far too many shy people in the world and not enough icebreakers.

I was on a jury once and before you got selected the defense attorney and prosecutor would ask the jury pool a series of questions. Some of these questions required you to be brave, while the other questions could be considered humiliating. After they asked everybody the questions without anything shocking being revealed they eventually got to me. I answered the questions honestly and told them like it is. That started a mini-chain reaction where other jurors raised their hands and "clarified" on some of their answers they gave. I guess they didn't want to be the first ones to admit something that wasn't perfect about themselves or their lives. Right then and there I decided that I would try my best to be the icebreaker whenever I was around people, even if I was shy myself. I would just have to force myself to say or do something that would ease the tension... even at the risk of looking somewhat foolish. ^.~

I also go by this motto now: In 100 years we'll all be dead. What will it matter?

A pretty pessimistic view, but it helps me with being less shy.