What do you think about children in a leash..

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If your in a crowded place it might be a good thing. It could keep them from running off, getting out of your sight never to be seen again, but I wouldn't put them on one all the time.

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I know that many parents use leashes for children when skiing. This is definitely understandable and I think it's a great idea for safety, skiing can get dangerous pretty quickly if you don't know what you're doing.

Having a child on a leash in other circumstances (during church, at the mall, etc.) doesn't seem right to me. It's honestly very strange to me. You can train your children to stay close to you, hold their hand, look after them, etc. Parents have been doing it for centuries and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Rather undignified ... Though I can understand what motivated the suggestion. Some children are prone to be, well, children! and run amok.

Maybe a better idea to teach children values i.e. respect for other people and their property, and good manners.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A fair point. I can't argue with that. And in this day and age ....

Had the OP an age cut off point in mind?
I wish an age was given because if we were talking about an older child, like 5 or 6, I think teaching them not to run off would be a better option. Would be kind of embarrassing if your school mates saw you on a leash.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
You may teach a 2 or 3 year old not to run off but they don't always listen.
A child of 2-3 years of age could not possibly run fast enough to get away from an adult.

I wish an age was given because if we were talking about an older child, like 5 or 6, I think teaching them not to run off would be a better option. Would be kind of embarrassing if your school mates saw you on a leash.
This would become a major cause of bullying. Seriously, can you imagine how dumb you'd feel if your parents kept you on a leash and none of your classmates' parents did?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A child of 2-3 years of age could not possibly run fast enough to get away from an adult.

This would become a major cause of bullying. Seriously, can you imagine how dumb you'd feel if your parents kept you on a leash and none of your classmates' parents did?
I wouldn't want to be kept on a leash at that age. You would be made fun of at school.

As far as a 2 or 3 year old they can disappear pretty fast especially if you have other children to watch even if they can't outrun an adult. I've had a small child and watched other peoples children, had friends with small children, believe me they can run off pretty fast. Someone says something to you and you turn around and they are gone.