• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What do you look for in an auction site?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What types of features do you look for in an auction site?

This doesn't have to be eBay specific, but basically, what's your auction website wish list? What do you wish you could do that you can't right now?

:)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm always a sucker for organization. I'm more likely to buy something if I can find it faster than I am looking for it an hour other places.

Also, ease of lsiting and lax rules are a big point for me. Who cares if someone wants to put up a website link if they're selling ad space on a web site? Yeah, it will get over used, but at least it wouldn't leak on other places.

Cheap listing fees, or even no fees at all are nice. You do realize that Ebay can make tons of money off of advertising alone, right? Maybe they can auction it off...

Melos

Registered Member
Definately NO listing fees, and a reasonable final value feel. Ease of listing the product - single page form is good. An "About Me" or "My Store" page that lists all your auctions in one place - a must for advertising! High sell-through rate. The last is the one I'm having trouble finding though!

Plumley

Registered Member
I agree with what's been said so far, especially ease of use. Low to no fees, reliability of the interface, and advertising by the site that promotes traffice. I would also like the site be active in discouraging scammers.

katharina

Registered Member
The fees are definitely my concern, and the assurance that I won't
have to be paying anything out if my item doesn't sell.

palefrost

Registered Member
I feel the same way about the fees being as low as possible. I hate having to give up so much money to miscellaneous charges.

SouthernGal

Registered Member
I totally agree with all the has been said tonight. I would say that for me, it would be most important to have *no* fees. Sites like Ebay could make plenty of money in other ways. I also don't like paying fees if my item doesn't sell. It must be user-friendly and also buyer-friendly. I want buyers to be able to find my items easily.

If anyone finds a site just perfect like this... let us all know!

katharina

Registered Member
I would say that for me, it would be most important to have *no* fees. Sites like Ebay could make plenty of money in other ways.
I don't mind reasonable fees. If they are acting as middleman for me
to sell my things, I don't think they should have to make money other
ways or they'd be in another business.

Another thing that I didn't see mentioned yet, is that I think there
should be a cap on what is allowed to be charged for shipping. It may
be impossible to enforce, but they could probably have some kind of
chart that lists weights and shipping costs for 1st class... make sellers
have a weight listed and then make sure the shipping cost is reasonable
and not something like $10 for a ring that weighs .5 lb. or something.

mynameisCat

Registered Member
it would be most important to have *no* fees. Sites like Ebay could make plenty of money in other ways. I also don't like paying fees if my item doesn't sell. It must be user-friendly and also buyer-friendly. I want buyers to be able to find my items easily.
That seems to be overwhelming majority wishlist here...but I have to admit I agree with Katherina -- I don't mind paying a reasonable fee, probably because I've been on the other end as a designer. No matter what anyone says, it's still the truth that you don't get something for nothing, not the Net, not anywhere. It's hard to have organization without the people to do the organization, and that means money, and that means fees. I'm not sure how eBay could in fact make plenty of money other ways other than fees. They've got all their operating costs to consider, among other things, and profit is still why we're all in business, isn't it? Surely as our own business owners we can understand that...