What Do You know About Our Government?

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
What should I know about government branches and the US Congress, Senators, Governors, Presidents and Vice Presidents?

Ok let me explain what I mean by these questions. I only learned about the government in jr high. In high school they mostly taught Geography and World History.. Also because I graduated from a continuation school that didn't get too deep in subjects like that. . We just worked from the book. Read and answer questions. The teacher would help us to try to figure them out. The history class never had any lecture. Math, English and Science had some lectures.

So as you can see I only have a Jr high learning of government branches etc. . But I also took a trip to Washington D.C. that helped me a little bit to understand how complex it's to work on tons and tons of issues. Some never even had been voted on if it's really a bad idea or to many arguments.

I'll tell you what I know then whoever reads this that can help me to understand what I don't know about Congress, Presidents, Senators etc.

1. The president is elected every four years by electoral votes. They can only serve 2 terms of 8 years maximum if voted in the second term.
  2. There are 2 Senators that represent each state and that can serve 6 years. I don't know how many terms they are in a row.
Congress I believe is in the House of Representatives or is that the House of Republicans?
Well you see that's why I have a Jr high education and not all the right answers. Somehow the Congress is up to talk about laws and they vote and then the President either signs in it into law or vetoes it.

The govenor is the most powerful person with authority in each state. I don't know how many terms or years that a govenor can serve. i only know some govenors from California and Illinois where I live now.

OK can anyone help me to understand how other Congress works?. What is the difference between the House of Representative and the Senate?. Do they meet together or do they stay separate? Which part do they belong to?

What do the Senators do? How do they represent the states and what kind of power do they have compared to the Governor?

Is being a Govenor like being a President? What are the similiarities and what are the differences from being a state Govenor? How many years or terms?

Sure I could buy a book and read about this. But it would be better to ask Pop Malt members first so that I may get a possible understanding.
Thanks for answers ahead of time.

Impaired

Registered Member
Government has become a corrupt institution where regardless of which side is in power, the same people continue to get rich at the taxpayer expense. Most people don't care and don't vote. A certain number of people will vote for Satan (D) and a certain number will vote for Lucifer (R) and the undecided voters are fed propaganda until they turn one way or the other in disgust.

The only way things will change is if ALL the incumbents are noted out and replaced with people beholden to no one. This will never happen.

Laws are currently written by corporate lawyers and given to bill makers to introduce as their own. These laws are universally not understood by those enacting them into law. Most of the time, they are not even read by those enacting them. Or sponsoring them.

They are written for the benefit of the few to the detriment of the nation and more importantly, the people. I wish I was joking and I would love for this to be my mistake. However, I've watched it happen year after year after decade.

The reason Tesla cannot sell cars in Michigan has NOTHING to do with the will of the people and everything to do with those currenly making money off selling cars in the state. This is the norm.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
What should I know about government branches and the US Congress, Senators, Governors, Presidents and Vice Presidents?

Ok let me explain what I mean by these questions. I only learned about the government in jr high. In high school they mostly taught Geography and World History.. Also because I graduated from a continuation school that didn't get too deep in subjects like that. . We just worked from the book. Read and answer questions. The teacher would help us to try to figure them out. The history class never had any lecture. Math, English and Science had some lectures.

So as you can see I only have a Jr high learning of government branches etc. . But I also took a trip to Washington D.C. that helped me a little bit to understand how complex it's to work on tons and tons of issues. Some never even had been voted on if it's really a bad idea or to many arguments.

I'll tell you what I know then whoever reads this that can help me to understand what I don't know about Congress, Presidents, Senators etc.

1. The president is elected every four years by electoral votes. They can only serve 2 terms of 8 years maximum if voted in the second term.
  2. There are 2 Senators that represent each state and that can serve 6 years. I don't know how many terms they are in a row.
Congress I believe is in the House of Representatives or is that the House of Republicans?
Well you see that's why I have a Jr high education and not all the right answers. Somehow the Congress is up to talk about laws and they vote and then the President either signs in it into law or vetoes it.

The govenor is the most powerful person with authority in each state. I don't know how many terms or years that a govenor can serve. i only know some govenors from California and Illinois where I live now.

OK can anyone help me to understand how other Congress works?. What is the difference between the House of Representative and the Senate?. Do they meet together or do they stay separate? Which part do they belong to?

What do the Senators do? How do they represent the states and what kind of power do they have compared to the Governor?

Is being a Govenor like being a President? What are the similiarities and what are the differences from being a state Govenor? How many years or terms?

Sure I could buy a book and read about this. But it would be better to ask Pop Malt members first so that I may get a possible understanding.
Thanks for answers ahead of time.
Congress is divided into 2 houses: House of Representatives and the Senate. The House was set up to be the people's representatives. Many more members means your House rep lives near you. The House terms are 2 years. The Senate was originally set up to represent the states. 2 Senators per state. Until the 1920s Senators were not voted on by the people, instead they were appointed by the State governments. Senators are appointed for 6 years.
The Congress was established so the House would be regular Joes like you and me and the Senate would be statesmen and lawyers.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A bill starts in one Chamber. gets voted on and if 50%+1 vote for the bill, it goes to the other Chamber. It is then modified if the members see fit and voted on. After this process the House and Senate leaders come together and work out the differences of the bill and send it back.

ahh...screw this.. Just watch this:

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
Ok thanks for sharing. Men in Tights you cleared up a lot of things for me more. Now i understand Congress a little better.

Now is there any president in history that was originally in the Congress and became a president? If there's more then 1 you can name them?