What do you guys think about E-Readers?

Okay , so I'm going out of my mind on deciding whether it's a good idea for me to get an e-book or not.

On one hand, it's super handy. I don't have my own place right now, so the chances of me moving around is currently pretty high. It'd be really great not to lug around thick books while moving, since it's very likely that I'll move all my stuff alone.

On the other hand, printed books are very irresistable. The temptation to buy books, whenever I visit a bookshop, is very hard to handle. Only the price tag, coupled with the amount of money on my bank account, stopped me from buying them. Heck, I couldn't even careless about practicality if I had the money.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. So, what do you guys think? Do you prefer reading books on e-readers or reading paperback versions?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think I would prefer a real book myself. I don't have a e-reader but I just like the feel of a real book in my hand.

I can understand about space though, hard to keep a big selection of books unless you have a place for them. Plus you have to dust them and the shelves they are sitting on. lol, maybe a e-reader would be better unless it is hard on your eyes.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I find the temptation to purchase books to be pretty hard to resist myself. I really like book stores but I generally steer clear of book stores unless there's something specific in mind that I'm looking for.

I can see how an e-reader may be convenient. You can store thousands of books on it, it's small, harder to damage, and most books you can get for it are cheaper than their physical copy counterparts.

Still, I prefer a physical book and I think I always will. I love the way that books look on the shelf and I love the way it feels in my hands.

Last edited:

danwiz

Registered Member
I love my original Kindle keyboard. I got it in 2011 just before I was going to do some traveling so that I'd have an easy way to read a bunch of boos while I traveled. That same Kindle keyboard is what I am still using - EVERY DAY!

I commute to work by train, in some cases for up to 2 hours, and it's a lifesaver. I spend my time on the train reading. And seeing as I have 300+ books on my Kindle I don't have to be concerned about "oh dear, I am nearly finished with this book, so I'd better carry along a 2nd (heavy) book with me today."

In addition, one can put PDF files on a Kindle, so I have a file listing all the books on my Kindle and if they are read or unread, so I can easily look at that PDF file upon finishing a book and decide what book I want to read next.

Contrary to what was stated above, e-books are often NOT any cheaper than the paper versions, which makes a lot of people angry - me included.

I try and stick with mostly free books - every day there are hundreds of free books available for the Kindle. You have to be careful though - many indie authors, as well as major publishing houses don't know how to format a book so that it looks and reads well on a Kindle. Sometimes there are line breaks in the middle of a word, the formatting varies from paragraph to paragraph (indented, justified, unjustified, etc., etc.) and so on. You have to read all of the 1 star reviews to find the people who have commented on those problems because most of the 5 star reviews are from the author's friends who don't dare say anything negative about their friends book!

Many indie authors don't know how to use or write English - you're does not equal your, their does not equal there and does not equal they're and authors who don't know the difference are not worth reading. It's does not equal its either! Some books from indie authors are filled with misspelled and misused words too. Before you download a book look at the free samples which Amazon offers, and again, I say - read the 1 star reviews.

That said, to me an e-reader is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I create Kindle content (as well as print content) - mostly books with many color photos on mountain climbing. The black & white e-readers are not the place to enjoy these books, but one can download Kindle e-reader software for the iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, Android and so on.

Oh, I always buy (Amazon does not make them available for free) my own books for my Kindle and carefully check the formatting to be sure that there are n problems. The MS-Word file which was used for the print edition cannot be used for the e-book edition, there are a great many MS-Word features which cannot be translated directly into Kindle, so one has to create a separate MS-Word file for the Kindle Edition being very aware of what one is doing and what will come across in the Kindle Edition (for example - many special characters will not translate on the Kindle Edition. The print edition may have special characters like degree symbols, arrows and the like - they will not come out correctly when converted to Kindle.

Okay, enough said. Buy an e-reader and buy my books (or if you don't want to buy an e-reader then buy one of my print edition books)! If you DO buy one of my books please leave me a review - negative or positive - they all help.

Last edited:

ALonelyTemplar

Registered Member
Your question has been around the web for a few years. Well, I support both sides. I firmly believe an e-book reader is a great tool for saving space and having as much books as you want on portable. On the other hand though, the feeling of having a physical replicate of your favourite story is irresistible. You can smell the fresh or old papers as you're opening your book, even your coffe grunge (did you catch it? grunge like the music type, because physical copies of my favoure story make music in my ears) when you rereading your novel after some years for a second time.

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
My parents are always buying new books for the library and sometimes I read one but mostly I just use my Kindle Fire. Its easier than dealing with books and I can check out other stuff online while Im reading. So yeah I definitely prefer using my Kindle.

I enjoy both. I have a Kindle and I also have hundreds of books. I like the look and feel of a hardcover book. The cover art, the smell of the pages. There's just something about it. But it's hard to argue with a Kindle. You can load up a handful of books and be set, no matter how long your trip may be. You also save a ton of space. Change your mind and wanna read something different half way through? No problem. They are also cheaper on your Kindle, that's always nice.

I still give the slight edge to a real book... but it's very, very close.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think E-readers are cool. I don't have one myself, but I have nothing against them. I might get one someday.

Right now I read physical copies of books. Like Det said one thing that I would miss if I got an e-reader would be the smell. I love the smell of the pages of books.

Stego

Registered Member
I use both. My basic non-color, non-lit background Nook 2nd gen is absolutely fantastic though. I have a bendy LED book light I use with it.

When it comes to books, I like the response Giles gives (from Buffy).

Otherwise, I like the ergonomics of my Nook and how long the battery lasts. I have a little solar charger and the power will last weeks at a time with the WiFi turned off. Often I'm doing computer work and need reference manuals open, so the Nook can just sit on the side and I can read through them while I type without draining more batteries or having another bright screen in my face. It's great at night because the screen just looks like a regular page. Perhaps it also kind of reminds me of the old gray screened Game Boy, so there is some gentle nostalgia there too.

My mood also shifts quite a bit and I don't stick with reading the same book all the way through in one sitting. But I've found I am happier with Nook because I know less trees are going down, the author's are still getting paid, and I can also load all sorts of reading materials of all shapes, sizes, and texts. I use Calibre as a free software on my computer to manage the Nook and I also find royalty free downloads of classics and translations around the web.