Question What do you drive?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
If you’re in the right circles, this is one of the first questions certain people will ask you.

What do you drive?

I recently bought a 2002 Subaru Outback in manual. I put a rebuilt engine in the car, new half axles on the front, new brakes & rotors, new tires, the whole nine yards.

At first I didn’t really love the fact that it was a manual but I’m finding I get overall better gas mileage and the car is actually faster because I get to decide when the gear shifts.

I also have a 2003 Subaru Outback in white. My fiancée doesn’t drive manual so I got her set up on that car.

Neither car is particularly fast or exciting and both have a pretty fair amount of hail damage. I really like Subaru though, their cars are solid. It’s nice for me to have two cars that are so similar because this is the type of car I originally learned to work on.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
2017 Mazda 3. The only reason I have that is because my old car, a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer got totaled when another driver drove right into my passenger side. I like the new Mazda, however, I definitely miss my Lancer. I had just finished my car payments on the Lancer. That is the biggest piss-off. That said, since I didn't have a lot of KM's(miles for you Americans) the insurance company I have gave me a great sum for the car.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I just got a steal on a 2007 Ford 500 with 100k miles. $2k.
I love it. It's one of the best cars I've ever driven. Think I'm going to give it to my daughter.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
2017 Mazda 3. The only reason I have that is because my old car, a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer got totaled when another driver drove right into my passenger side. I like the new Mazda, however, I definitely miss my Lancer. I had just finished my car payments on the Lancer. That is the biggest piss-off. That said, since I didn't have a lot of KM's(miles for you Americans) the insurance company I have gave me a great sum for the car.
Wouldn’t it have been the other parties responsibility on the insurance side of things?
I just got a steal on a 2007 Ford 500 with 100k miles. $2k.
I love it. It's one of the best cars I've ever driven. Think I'm going to give it to my daughter.
That’s a great deal!

Cash for cars is always best in my view. Have enough payments for other things, no need to have to pay one more, especially with depreciation factored in.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Wouldn’t it have been the other parties responsibility on the insurance side of things?

That’s a great deal!

Cash for cars is always best in my view. Have enough payments for other things, no need to have to pay one more, especially with depreciation factored in.
Seriously. You go see a buyer with cash in your pocket and you can walk away richer. I paid about half of kbb value and after a wash and wax it looks like it just came of the lot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
My insurance appraised my vehicle after the damage. Asked me if I accepted the offer, I said yes. I imagine afterwards, they got in touch with the gentleman' insurance company and that is where I got my money from.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just bought a 2008 Ford Fusion SE with a sun roof which I will never use. I has a hundred thousand on it but it drives well and everything works. Also paid 5K cash for it. Will drive it a couple of years and buy a newer one. It was hard to find one I could pay cash for that didn't have holes in the seat or something.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I just bought a 2008 Ford Fusion SE with a sun roof which I will never use. I has a hundred thousand on it but it drives well and everything works. Also paid 5K cash for it. Will drive it a couple of years and buy a newer one. It was hard to find one I could pay cash for that didn't have holes in the seat or something.
that's a good car too. My 500 which is huge gets 25mpg! I'm sure that Fusion gets even better. Ford did a fantastic job with fuel consumption over the last few yrs.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
that's a good car too. My 500 which is huge gets 25mpg! I'm sure that Fusion gets even better. Ford did a fantastic job with fuel consumption over the last few yrs.
So far its getting about 25 or 26 but where I live has lots of curves and hills. On a decent road it should get around 28. The newer Fusions I heard do better than that. I was looking at a newer one but it didn't have a back up camera and with the high head rests in back I felt a camera was a necessity.

Edit: The 25 or 26 is average mpg, that is all the car will give.