• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss What do you do with a boring book?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I always finish my boring book. I'm not the type to give up easily. A great example is most of the Tom Clancy novels dealing with Jack Ryan. That man can be very long winded and I nearly made it through the entire series because of my desire to complete every book/series I start. I haven't given up yet but it's taken me a very long time to get through them all.

It's not that they're badly written books, either. Clancy is just long-winded and very detail orientated. It makes for a boring read.

danwiz

Registered Member
I'm pretty careful about what I read and very seldom end up with one which is totally boring to the point that I cannot finish it. Can't even recall the last time this happened to me.

That said, I mostly read on my Kindle and the books I have problems with are some of the independently published ones that are filled with misspelled words, grammatical mistakes in virtually every sentence, misused words (your instead of you're, their/there, past/passed, etc.). When I run into those problems I most often delete them from my Kindle and sometimes also from my Amazon account. Sometimes I just delete the book from my Kindle though, and leave it in my Amazon account. Then I give the book a scathing review and see if the author makes a comment to me. For example. This happened 3 or 4 months ago and ultimately the author commented on my review to say that he had paid an editor to edit his work, and he invited me to give him my e-mail address, sent me the polished up book and I reread the entire thing and it was so much better that I edited my original review and upgraded it from being a 1 star review to a 3 star review. Of course the author also updated his digital work on the Amazon website so that future buyers would receive the edited version.