• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss What do you do with a boring book?

whiteraven

Registered Member
I keep thinking about books that I just can't seem to get into or are just so boring I have to quit reading them. I just can't seem to figure out what to do with them. Do I put them back on my bookshelf or take it to a book store or thift store to get rid of them. Some books are just a waste of time to finish.

So, what do you guys do when you find a really boring book?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I have stopped reading many books without finishing them. Some earlier on in the book than others. 50 Shades of Grey is a good example. I desperately wanted to keep going just to see if it will get better and to be in on what everyone seems to love. I didn't even get half way through the first book before deciding to quit.

I give them to my mom to see if she wants to read it, and she then takes it to the second hand book store when she goes there to buy books. I wouldn't keep a book that I can't get in to, unless I know for a fact that I will be in to it at a later point. I do tend to go in and out of reading moods, but if I know the book isn't attractive to me, I am not holding on to it.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
Let them sit around for a long while and then pick them up again hopefully with a few new perspectives. Then maybe then they will be interesting to me after I've left them alone and preoccupied myself with other things for a time.

Elanor

Registered Member
I usually hang onto books I don't finish, in the hope that one day I will try reading it again and enjoy it. This is easier said than done though, they will often end up sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I don't think I have ever gotten rid of a book, I probably should as I have hundreds.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Only book I have ever not finished was the first twilight book. I got about halfway through and decided, that's it, I'm done. Couldn't take it any more. Still have the book but probably won't ever finish it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I donate them to the Catholic Church for their flea market. If its boring there is no chance of me trying to read it again. I really don't need books I won't read sitting on my bookcase for me to dust.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't read fiction, or rarely do anyway, what I read is history, biography, law, politics, religion or economics. I enjoy those subjects matters and I read for information anyway, not to be told a story, so I don't find them boring. It might be a little dry reading or kind of heavy reading but I enjoy those subjects. I never get rid of books, I keep them all.

Amaranthien

Registered Member
I keep thinking about books that I just can't seem to get into or are just so boring I have to quit reading them. I just can't seem to figure out what to do with them. Do I put them back on my bookshelf or take it to a book store or thift store to get rid of them. Some books are just a waste of time to finish.

So, what do you guys do when you find a really boring book?
Well, you could just shelve it and not pick it up again til you feel you can generate interest in it again. Or you could donate it to a library or second-hand book store in your local area (provided you have one, and your library takes books). Usually I power through books I don't like in an effort to finish faster, but so I can still say I finished it.

Jim_Raynor

Registered Member
I have felt like this for almost every book i have ever read in my life. Once you don't care about the book it gets harder and harder to understand what is happening in it. I always get really distracted when i read books like these. Most of the books I have to read for school are just unbearable to read mostly because i can't ever get into a book like i would a movie or something.

Sim

Registered Member
When it's fiction, and it's boring because it's simply bad writing, I usually stop reading and give it away as a gift, or sell it.

When it's very well written and has interesting ideas in it, but still bores me, I consider that a challenge and force myself to continue reading. Not always immediately, though, sometimes I just put a card in it and continue some other time. Usually it pays off reading it nevertheless... just have to find the right mood.

When it's about non-fiction books, it doesn't matter when it's "boring" as in "dry", as long as it is informative. I usually keep them, no matter if I read them from start to end, or just selected chapters. When it's simply bad, like not as a good science/nonfiction book should be -- informative, focusing on the relevant, deep enough, etc, I give it away too.